preparing for social services assessment

Third Sibling

May 19, 2017
Hello, our social services are visiting my parents next week to assess their needs with regards to care. My mother has dementia and my father is the principle carer. I'd be interested to hear people's experience with this assessment, and any suggestions what to say and what not to say? My parents are still living in the home I grew up in.

Thanks

CarerForMum

May 5, 2017
Hello, our social services are visiting my parents next week to assess their needs with regards to care. My mother has dementia and my father is the principle carer. I'd be interested to hear people's experience with this assessment, and any suggestions what to say and what not to say? My parents are still living in the home I grew up in.

Thanks

I was present when my mum had her assessment, they asked lots of questions, why, what, how etc. The questions were directed at my mum, after the assessment, the social worker turned to me asked if there was anything I wanted to add. I had loads to add. Some of which, her medication, food, toilet needs etc...

I've noticed some people on here, what they did, they handed a note to the social worker - as some things may cause distress to the person with dementia.

Explain they need help, think about the type of help needed eg bathing, dressing, medication, food, keeping them safe, sensors on floors, doors, kitchen items does the gas need to be switched off by the mains etc for safety.

Don't forget after the initial assessment, a financial assessment will also be done, looking at bank statements, do they receive pensions, pension credit, attendence allowance etc...

Also does your father need a break occasionally, are there day centres, would the social services fund this. Or he may need a longer break, so that your mum goes into a respite (care home) for a week or two.

Just a few things to consider. Other's will be along and add to this list.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Is there a chance that Dad might try to play things down and say everything is fine? Then ask whether you could be present. Are they only assessing your mother or your father as carer also, which is what should happen really? Every council does it differently but I was given a self-assessment form asking me what my caring role consists of, what I'm struggling with and what support I would want to make things better for me. Then the SW sat down with me and talked it through, asking lots of questions about him and his condition also.

It's best to write at least bullet points down beforehand to get it clear in your mind what you want the outcome of this meeting to be. Do you want carers for Mum, befrienders, respite weeks, a day centre, or all of it? Emphasise where your mother might be at risk, eg if wandering or inviting in strangers or trying to cook while no longer aware of the risk of hot hobs.... It's a very personal list so make sure you think it all through carefully. Don't wait for them to tell you what she can or cannot have - present a wish list. Have a clear reason why - to keep her safe, to give Dad the chance to pursue his hobbies etc.

Don't get drawn into any financial assessments until the care assessments are done. Be vague - have to find bank statements, not sure where they are right now... Don't give them an excuse to say they can't help.

Ask to be signposted to any clubs or carer forums that are available - lunch clubs, coffee mornings, Singing for the Brain etc. Also ask for a referral to an OT to check their home out for anything like grabrails, raised toilet seats - whatever would help Mum live in her own home.

And above all, treat it like an Attendance Allowance application - it's about the needs they both have, not whether they are met yet, and describe her on her worst day not the best. If she's only wandered once, well that's enough to get herself in serious danger should it happen again. Be firm and don't be a pushover. Don't let them lead the conversation. Remember: they have duty of care for a vulnerable person at risk. You can quote that at them verbatim. Also, your Dad has a legal right to a carers assessment, and his needs are equally important. (Care Act 2014).

Best of luck.

Last edited: