Prayer focus (dementia )

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am currently doing our church mag as the regular editor is not around.

Last month someone wanted an article on Ovarian Cancer - so I started a Prayer Focus for the Month. This is the one I have prepared for April!

Prayer Focus: Dementia

I wonder how many of you shudder at the word ‘dementia’! One in five families is touched by this condition. There are numerous causes, the most common being Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia, Fronto-temporal Dementia and Dementia with Lewy Bodies.

‘Hardly a day goes by now without some references to dementia in the news and media. There is a growing interest and awareness about dementia among the public and politicians alike, and rightly so!! It’s been a long time coming.’ (Quote from Ruth Sutherland, Chief Operating Officer, Alzheimers Society).

Dementia is still far behind other areas of medicine; there is a desperate need for funding and successful research to ‘catch up’ with other terminal illnesses.

Progress is slow although tremendous efforts are being made. The Alzheimer’s Society funds research into the cause, care and prevention of Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. So far the Society has funded over 100 research projects in leading scientific institutions across the UK.

Please pray for success in this field of medicine and research – any one of us could be affected at any time.

timthumb

Dec 6, 2009
west sussex
great call for prayer beckyjan..............it really does need god to step in with dementia...........we cant do it on our own ...we need to partner with him

god bless
tim xxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Well done, Jan. You've managed to fit in all the crucial points.

Let's hope the power of prayer is effective.

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I think it's a wonderful idea Jan - helping with awareness and asking for help:)

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Jan. :)
You are encouraging people who think it won`t happen to them to be more aware. Perhaps it won`t happen to them but they need to know it might.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
A prayer to the Almighty

Hi BeckyJan,

I think this is a fantastic idea as every one of us that has this terrible illness… or those that could fall prey to it… and their families… need help from the Almighty no matter what faith we might follow ;);):)

In fact just yesterday I posted this poem in the poems section from my own perspective…

Short and to the point so I don’t think I could add much more to this in way of words…

A prayer to the Almighty

I linger within hope…
I languish within dreams…
I survive in my own world…
betwixt and between,
the mountain pinnacles of a radiant sky,
in the chasm depths of deepest despair,
so I pray for a cure…
and I pray for salvation…
I pray for the tranquillity…
from this constant damnation,
as I prostrate my being unto the Almighty,
I seek for abolition from this illnesses creation…

Barry March 2010

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Prayer

A great idea Jan - could Dementia maybe come up for prayer more than once a year & maybe the focus next time could be supporting those you know or praying for those who work with people with dementia? e.g. prayer support for the informal and formal carers?, x

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Them and Us

The final words say it all; "Anyone of us could end up with it."
Yes it's in the media a lot of late. I must say it irks me when I hear the words; "Care for the elderly" and those with Alzheimer's.

It's as though we are a separate section of the community.
Of course the politicians and the young ones in the media are always going to remain young and free of the dreaded AD!

I'll sit up and take notice when I hear: "WE must make plans for when 'WE' are the elderly, and especially for those of 'US' who will undoubtedly suffer with Alzheimer's. Let 'US' learn the lessons of to-day, while 'WE' can from those among 'US' experiencing AD and their carers. 'WE' will better learn how to tackle 'OUR' care in the future." Can you imagine such inclusive plain talking?

stikwik

Oct 31, 2007
Nottingham
all i can do is echo what everyone has said (ie well done) and possibly request if i may poach this for my own church mag!? i won't be offended if you say no, as i could write my own, but why re-invent the wheel.

my diocese did some training on this recently which i was very pleased to see!

nikola

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thank you all for your comments.

Barry - I do think your poem is very special and meaningful. I long to hear of successful research - a cure would be wonderful.
I managed to raise over £600 last autumn at a fundraising event here at home; that amount and any extras I get go into Research through the Alz. Society.

You and anyone affected needs all the help we can get.

Gabrielle-amie

Feb 3, 2011
Thank you

Dear Jan, What a good idea. We need all the prayer we can get, both for the patient and for the carer, especially we need prayers for superhuman patience at times.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thank you Gabrielle-amie and Sarah for your latest comments. This is a Thread that was running in 2010 so I will close it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.