Practical ideas in an emergency

SamiLee

Sep 14, 2005
Surrey
Dear Sue h (and anyone else who might need to advise paramedics, on-call doctors etc of medical history),

I tripped over a leaflet published by a local council during a recent hospital visit for something called "Message in a Bottle Scheme". It wasn't from my local council so I called to see whether they ran anything similar - they do. According to the leaflet it is "a simple idea designed to encourage people living on their own to keep their basic personal and medical details in a common location where it can be easily found in an emergency." Basically, you have 2 'green cross' labels (1 for the back of the front door and 1 for the fridge) and in the fridge you keep the bottle (which also displays a green cross). The bottle contains a form which has the individual's personal information (doctor's details, medical condition, medication, contact names/numbers etc). It's not just for people on their own - you can complete a form for each individual at the same address. I've not seen it 'used' yet but it sounds really useful - particularly since I remember having to write much of this information down when asked by paramedics after my mother had a heart attack many years ago.

As an aside. does anyone have any thoughts on the best way for contact information to be carried on a person with AD - the 'if lost please call and I'll come and get them' type message?

Many thanks,
Sami

galliwotsit

May 10, 2005
Manchester
Ice Campaign

This is an extract from the Vodafone website
“By adopting the ICE advice, your mobile will now also help the rescue services quickly contact a friend or relative – which could be vital in a life or death situation.”

Paramedic Bob Brotchie approached his bosses at the East Anglian Ambulance Trust with the simple idea after discovering most accident victims carried no next of kin contact number.

“In an emergency, where the patient is shocked or unconscious, we need to find out as quickly as possible who we’re dealing with”, he said.

“The majority of people now carry mobile phones - so the ICE number would give emergency services immediate access to someone who knows the casualty – perhaps even their medical record - making everyone’s job easier.”

The campaign is also asking people to think carefully about who will be their ICE partner - with helpful advice on who to choose - particularly if that person has to give consent for emergency medical treatment.

Vodafone is now inviting all emergency services to promote ICE in their area as part of a national awareness campaign to highlight the importance of carrying next of kin details at all times.

“Nothing is worse than discovering a loved one has been in a serious accident – but you didn’t know about it at the time”, added Ms Stevens.

“With nine out of 10 people telling us they carry their mobile phone at all times, and a further half admitting one of the reasons for originally purchasing it was in case of an emergency, ICE is just another way in which a mobile phone can play a vital role in your life – and perhaps even save it.”

I do know that my local authority and tax office have circulated the information amongst staff.

I hope this helps and if possible can you circulate the information to as many people as you can and ask them to forward it as well.

Thanks Anne