Possible house sale help

jr1234

May 16, 2024
Hi folks, I am seeking advise on this situation as I'm struggling to get proper help anywhere. I will be trying another solicitor next week.

My grandmother is in a care home with dementia and has been self funding for nearly 5.5 years, my grandad passed away years ago but he had savings and a good pension which still pays so much out to my granny.

She is in a very frail state now, probably in the last few weeks of life, although impossible to speculate how long someone has left. Hardly eating and almost confined to bed. Already been called to the home as they believed she was going to go, but She rallied round.

She has around 27k left, care paid up until end of May. My mother has poa and the house is willed to her and is probably worth 140k ish.
Money was to be split half to my mother and the other half between 2 other relatives.
Given my grannies very frail state, I am trying to avoid selling the house as I want my mother to get it and I know my grandparents wanted her to have it. I feel she has spent enough money towards her care, approaching 200k in the past 5 and a bit years.
We are yet to approach local authority, I would like to put the house on a deferred payment scheme, and when she dies, which I don't think is far away, I would pay off the debt and allow my mother to have the house.

Failing that I will consider paying the shortfall in carehome fees myself which is around £600 a week after her benefits and pensions.

Question is will local authority wear this idea? We are in Scotland btw.

Many thanks

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
if you fed you money into the bank that pays Grannies fees I cannot see whay anyone would ask any questions

jr1234

May 16, 2024
In Scotland there is an additional option of a charging order
I've been reading up on it, I am assuming if the council is willing to defer the house sale, when she dies, they would accept me clearing the debt and my mother would receive the house?

jr1234

May 16, 2024
if you fed you money into the bank that pays Grannies fees I cannot see whay anyone would ask any questions
A possibility for a few months, however if she hangs on for longer than we think it will get expensive. If we could get into a deferred scheme I would forgo the risk of her being in the home longer than expected

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Why not contact LA financial section and work through the options available, you can then do comparisons.

jr1234

May 16, 2024
Why not contact LA financial section and work through the options available, you can then do comparisons.
Yes that's coming I just want to be armed with as much info as possible first, as far as I know the council is under no obligation to offer any deferred payment option since its an empty house, so may try and force a sale