Please answer my Poll, it will help decide how to help patients using technology

Is smartphone technology a good solution to allow Alzheimer patients to walk outdoors

• Total voters

deucalion0

Dec 26, 2012
Thank you all, I have read every last you have written and taken it al on board. Nmintueo, thanks for the information and links, I have not came across them before and they definitely provide great information relative to what I need, thanks!

I look forward to reading more of your opinion guys, please keep them coming!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Raymond

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I got lost in london and used my phone, something prob google maps to work out where i was and then was able to ring my friend and find my way back to my friends house.

I have always been techy! a gadget freak! and at the moment I am convinced that playing angry birds is very good for my brain as it involves short term memory being used to try and work out a stategy and which bird does what!

I have just got an android phone the last phone i had was given to me second hand and i had great difficulty using it but I am enjoying my new phone I hated the previous one with a vengance I dont think I have ever hated anything so much:eek:
:eek:
Asked how I was getting on with the new phone a friend piped up "well she's stopped swearing!!":eek:;)

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
I voted no
I am an ex carer, my mum had mixed dementia (Alzheimers and Vascular dementia)
With my mum , even in the early stages any device would have been flushed down the loo, put in the bin, ended up wherever she put her Dentures or smashed
She was also good at taking things apart ie, when dad nipped out to get some shopping, he came home to a flooded kitchen, mum had obviously decided to do some washing up and managed to take tho top off the tap while it was on.

In my opinion, a small waterproof tracking tag on say a bracelet that cannot easily be removed by the wearer,can be worn in bath/shower etc
would be better

We have had a few real horrible incidents reported on here where a person has gone missing, One from a locked ward ,sadly they did not survive
many folks on here have had there loved one slip out and go walkies for hrs and hrs, such a device may have helped find their loved on sooner

steviep

Dec 11, 2012
Lancashire
Hi Raymond

I voted 'No'. I agree with most points made here and especially with zeeeb about it being dependent on the severity of the dementia. Also, as others have pointed out, it's as much about their cognitive ability as their forgetfulness.

My mum is very aware but very forgetful and she has completely lost the ability to use any form of technology no matter how simple it is and how many times I've explained it to her. So even though she is in the early stages of dementia any form of technology would be a complete waste of time for her. Even if she did know how to use the device, I still wouldn't risk her going out on her own, you never know how they would respond to a random situation.

To be honest I think research would be better spent on genetics and medication rather than on technology. I know this is not your remit and wish you well with your project. Looking much further into the future I think robotic carers would be the answer should we not be able to find a cure :)

I hope this helps.

Steve

deucalion0

Dec 26, 2012
Hey guys, I have just read all the latest posts, thanks a lot for your time!!!! I am going to start writing up the results today, just collecting all the key points that you have all mentioned, I have no idea how many more votes I can get I am hoping to get at least 50, but the more information I have the more accurate I can research further. Already I am looking into other areas I never came across previously thanks to you all!

Thank you again!!!

Raymond

deucalion0

Dec 26, 2012
Thank you again for all of you who took the time to vote and give me some feedback, I shall let you know how I get on using all of your information!

Many many thanks!

Raymond