Pet care

HounslowBoy

Mar 12, 2020
Any known automatic pet feeders that are tamper proof for an elderly dementia woman living alone at home who regularly over feeds her dog. She has carers, cleaners and dog walkers visit along with friends and family etc but still overfeeds her dog

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @HounslowBoy.

I recall over feeding of pets being mentioned on the forum before but can't recall any solution being offered. However, the membership have vast experience so I hope you get some positive advice.

I wonder if the local vets surgery be able to assist.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
There are lots of different models on eBay though I don't know how tamper-proof they are.
That wouldn't stop her giving her dinner to the dog though.

Hope you find a solution...

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I am not sure why you need a tamper proof feeder? If she has plenty of visitors, they can feed the dog, can't they? So then you'd just need to prevent her having access to more dog food (although of course that won't stop her giving it human food).

My mother over-fed the cat, so her carers fed the cat and then hid the boxes of cat food so she couldn't keep putting out more food.

In terms of a tamper proof feeder, I doubt you'll find anything suitable. People with dementia are fond of dismantling gadgets.

HounslowBoy

Mar 12, 2020
Thank you all for your help. It was worth a go. I will look at hiding the pet food etc. But obviously cannot stop her giving her own food. It does look like dementia enhances their skills at finding solutions, even though they cannot remember why.