Partner with dementia and driver's license.

Larry5@

Jan 10, 2024
We are 83 and 80 and have been partners for 11 years, both widowed.
Her MD diagnosed "unspecified dementia."
She is lucid and aware of the disease. Not hesitant to discuss it so that's a minor blessing.
She drives well. I would ride anywhere with her (so long as she knows the way)
BUT..... she has test anxiety and freezes up on the driver exam.
I have looked but can't find any resources for this odd condition. .... (drives well but keeps failing written test)
Is there a solution to this dilemma?

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Hi @Larry5@ . I assume you are in the US by your spelling?

With respect I would question if anyone at 80, who gets lost in new places , struggles with written tests, and has dementia should be driving at all.

Larry5@

Jan 10, 2024
Hi @Larry5@ . I assume you are in the US by your spelling?

With respect I would question if anyone at 80, who gets lost in new places , struggles with written tests, and has dementia should be driving at all.
A popular opinion.
She does still drive and go for chores and shopping with no problem.
The "getting lost" applies to NEW destinations.

But.... the inability to pass the written test may settle this issue no matter what.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
What would she do in a crisis? Does she have the ability to react , perhaps do and emergeny stop etc etc?

Larry5@

Jan 10, 2024
What would she do in a crisis? Does she have the ability to react , perhaps do and emergeny stop etc etc?
Actually, yes. As I stated, she drives VERY well.
But in your scenario, ....IF.... she can get past the written test, the next step is the actual DRIVE test with examiner.
I just finished doing mine. Not all that easy. BACKING is complicated by the newer SUV interiors that ...block... vision that we used to get very easily by just looking over shoulder.
It's a continuing challenge.
What ****ed me off was they did NOT include parallel parking.....which ..I.. can (almost) do blindfolded.

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
I would check to see if she would have valid insurance if she does have an accident, as insurance companies will find any excuse not to pay out.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Actually, yes. As I stated, she drives VERY well.
But in your scenario, ....IF.... she can get past the written test, the next step is the actual DRIVE test with examiner.
I just finished doing mine. Not all that easy. BACKING is complicated by the newer SUV interiors that ...block... vision that we used to get very easily by just looking over shoulder.
It's a continuing challenge.
What ****ed me off was they did NOT include parallel parking.....which ..I.. can (almost) do blindfolded.
How many times has your OH failed the written drivers' test?
If many times, then, harsh as it may, I think the time has come for her not to drive. Society has to b careful who has control (or lack of it) of 1.5 tons of metal on the roads.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roid