Parents with dementia; full time carer moving in

Nastasia Shine

Aug 30, 2014
My father has vascular dementia and my mother has increasing memory loss. She cares for him and we are lucky enough to have [we hope] a full time carer moving in with them next week. i worry about them a lot and they are such lovely people it is heartbreaking at times. The carer is 69 but is very fit healthy and highly motivated to come. She keeps on asking questions like will her pension be affected and housing benefit. i am trying to find out and wondered if any members know? Are older people allowed to earn and continue to claim state pension? Do they pay NI? Will her housing benefit go?. She will get £500 a week and will be working 3 weeks a month [with breaks etc] and living in but not to be disturbed from 9pm to 9am. We are keen to do it by the book as she is as well and declare everything openly. I am hoping my mum's morale will improve with solid support as she is sounding depressed and is tearful which is so unlike her previous glass half full outlook. Does anyone else find themselves becoming forgetful and feeling dementia like after a few hours of being with their parents. I spend the whole time trying to get organised and feeling like I am failing and forgetting things myself?!:eek:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My good wishes to you in your attempt to get help for your parents. Looking after two elderly people with dementia is a tall order and I would suggest you consider contingency plans should it not succeed. The twelve hours without cover may well be the rock it founders on as people with dementia often have no understanding of day and night.

I would consider talking to Age UK or the Alz Soc about your responsibilities as an employer and what financial assistance or practical assistance your parents might be entitled to.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I believe that she can earn while in receipt of state pension or any other pension. She will have to pay NI and income tax. Any means tested benefits will be affected by her extra earnings. She won't like to discover that her £500 is not clear profit.

You will need to check out carefully your own duties and responsibilities. This person is asking you questions because she sees you as the employer. I don't think she is planning to set herself up as self-employed. The Inland Revenue also takes the approach that if a person works for one client as a carer then they are an employee, not self-employed. If you take her on as an employee you would be responsible for her tax and NI, and also taking out employer's liability insurance.

Have you applied to the local Council for Direct Payments for your parents? The money would help towards paying carers. Often the Council will offer guidance and training for using Direct Payments which is very welcome if you are new to being an employer.

Last edited:

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
May just point out that if a person is in receipt of state pension they do not pay NI on their earnings......

You will also have to ensure that the house/contents insurers are notified of an employee on the premises as this affects their liability insurance..... You will probabl need employer's liability insurance as a separate insured risk.

How will she be able to claim housing benefit if she is living in their house?

An employer is not responsible for ensuring that a person claims any benefits they are entitled to but if asked for information from the benefits office are required to reply completely and truthfully.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the arrangements, it worked well for a friend whose mother lived very close and had 2 live in carers at any one time which kept her in her home until she passed away.

Nastasia Shine

Aug 30, 2014
My good wishes to you in your attempt to get help for your parents. Looking after two elderly people with dementia is a tall order and I would suggest you consider contingency plans should it not succeed. The twelve hours without cover may well be the rock it founders on as people with dementia often have no understanding of day and night.

I would consider talking to Age UK or the Alz Soc about your responsibilities as an employer and what financial assistance or practical assistance your parents might be entitled to.

Thank you. I will take this advice. Very helpful points.

Nastasia Shine

Aug 30, 2014
May just point out that if a person is in receipt of state pension they do not pay NI on their earnings......

You will also have to ensure that the house/contents insurers are notified of an employee on the premises as this affects their liability insurance..... You will probabl need employer's liability insurance as a separate insured risk.

How will she be able to claim housing benefit if she is living in their house?

An employer is not responsible for ensuring that a person claims any benefits they are entitled to but if asked for information from the benefits office are required to reply completely and truthfully.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the arrangements, it worked well for a friend whose mother lived very close and had 2 live in carers at any one time which kept her in her home until she passed away.

Thank you for your thoughts. She will be keeping her flat on. Hoping it goes well...