Only 67

plumbrite66

Apr 18, 2013
nz
Hi Would like to contact anyone in same position as I am. wife only 66 when diagnosed and still really shes not to bad,you would have to spend a few hours with her to notice anything she still cooks although I do a lot more of it now ,she repeats herself a lot and forgets things but still not to bad,she went with friend at the weekend to visit her sister 3 hours away I didn't go but a few hours after getting home the next day asked me if I was tired from the long drive to take her to her sisters I just said no im okay.The local Alzheimers Society is great and starting tomorrow she will be going to there group sessions for two days a week,im hopeing that meeting with others she will enjoy it, I just hope she is with others who are in early stages like she is and meets others of same age or similar.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I just hope she is with others who are in early stages like she is and meets others of same age or similar.

I hope so too. Please let us know how your wife enjoys the group.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi,

My mum was diagnosed at the age of 66 also, she has AD. Whilst still living at home with dad they both visited a local club for both sufferers and carers. I know it's slightly different as you aren't attending but I just wanted to say from my experience (I went the 1st time to get them both through the door!) it was absolutely lovely. The people could not have been friendlier, there were people at different stages and of different ages.

Mum and dad only went a few times as 9 months after diagnosis she was admitted to a psychiatric unit and went from there into care (she is now 68).

I hope your wife enjoys the club and I hope you manage to get some rest. It's not an easy job caring especially when the one you look after is still agile and can get about without a problem. Mum uses to wander off and sometimes even I couldn't keep up with her.

Let us know how your wife gets on and if you manage to put your feet up.

Sharon :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning. I'm sorry to read about your wife's diagnosis. I'm glad she's going to be attending the group sessions and hope she enjoys them.

It's good that you've found TP as you'll get lots of help, support and advice here.

Let us know how your wife enjoys the sessions. x