Online games.

Galloping grannie

Feb 24, 2022
I have treated myself to a new iPad and would love to set my OH up on my old one with some games, or anything he can do on his own. He used to play competitive bridge and county level chess but can’t do any of that after 9 years of Alzheimer’s. I’ve looked at Solitaire but don’t know which app to choose, there are a few which is confusing. Any suggestions from the people who know what works would be great.

Debz5564

Mar 16, 2022
I have treated myself to a new iPad and would love to set my OH up on my old one with some games, or anything he can do on his own. He used to play competitive bridge and county level chess but can’t do any of that after 9 years of Alzheimer’s. I’ve looked at Solitaire but don’t know which app to choose, there are a few which is confusing. Any suggestions from the people who know what works would be great.
hi there are lots of free solitaire, my hubby uses solitaire and jigsaws, there are also lots of free dementia games you might want to look at

Ansosch

May 2, 2024
Do you have any recommendations for good dementia games to play? I would like to find something that is simple and can perhaps be played with two people

Donk1

Mar 26, 2022
Thank you for these suggestions, i was going to ask this questio myself. He is no longer able or interested in solitaire

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I recently came across a resource for children called Cutie Cuis. It has a variety of simple games that involve pattern matching, putting numbers in order, finding carrots for the guinea pigs and so on. It is very visual and could be played as a team if two people were to discuss and choose what to do next. It also doesn't matter about getting things right as the audible alerts will let you know. There's also a leaderboard where one can see one's personal best score and compare it to others.

As with any game, making up one's own 'rules' to suit the person with dementia is a good idea.

If interested search online for download.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Please may I also ask how an iPad can be locked down so that no settings can be accidentally altered? Or is there a similar device which is more dementia-friendly?

We’d love my Mum to be able to play her favourite online games - she still enjoys sudoku puzzles. However she used to work in IT and believes that she knows all about iPads, so chaos has ensued. Last time, she managed to set a passcode for the iPad which she promptly forgot, despite writing it down. She naturally made a note of the code then ‘put it somewhere safe’ so it was never seen again! Apple Support tried their best to help over the phone for the best part of two hours, but even with Dad coaching, Mum just kept pressing random things and sabotaged the recovery process (which I suspect rested on another security password which she won’t remember). It’s been an expensive exercise so far.

Any additional advice gratefully received.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Please may I also ask how an iPad can be locked down so that no settings can be accidentally altered? Or is there a similar device which is more dementia-friendly?

We’d love my Mum to be able to play her favourite online games - she still enjoys sudoku puzzles. However she used to work in IT and believes that she knows all about iPads, so chaos has ensued. Last time, she managed to set a passcode for the iPad which she promptly forgot, despite writing it down. She naturally made a note of the code then ‘put it somewhere safe’ so it was never seen again! Apple Support tried their best to help over the phone for the best part of two hours, but even with Dad coaching, Mum just kept pressing random things and sabotaged the recovery process (which I suspect rested on another security password which she won’t remember). It’s been an expensive exercise so far.

Any additional advice gratefully received

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury