Officially diagnosed today

alison1981

Dec 13, 2013
Today my mum, dad and myself went to see the consultant at the memory clinic and she was given a dementia diagnosis and she needs to have another brain scan because she is not sure if it is alzheimers.

The consultant was really lovely with mum and us too and she talked to all of us, the nurse who comes to our house also was there.

She has put her on some medication, I can't even spell it, let alone pronounce it!

We got home and mum had an episode similar to Saturday's when she gets a knife and threatens dad with it. She went to the neighbours and asked them to call the police. My dad went round and the neighbours had not called the police thank god. They know now about her diagnosis and will keep an eye out for her.

Dad hasn't accepted it and he screams in her face and it is very distressing for me to see it, she is adamant dad doesn't live with us and she tells him to get out of the house.

Amelie2

Oct 14, 2014
Today my mum, dad and myself went to see the consultant at the memory clinic and she was given a dementia diagnosis and she needs to have another brain scan because she is not sure if it is alzheimers.

The consultant was really lovely with mum and us too and she talked to all of us, the nurse who comes to our house also was there.

She has put her on some medication, I can't even spell it, let alone pronounce it!

We got home and mum had an episode similar to Saturday's when she gets a knife and threatens dad with it. She went to the neighbours and asked them to call the police. My dad went round and the neighbours had not called the police thank god. They know now about her diagnosis and will keep an eye out for her.

Dad hasn't accepted it and he screams in her face and it is very distressing for me to see it, she is adamant dad doesn't live with us and she tells him to get out of the house.

Hi Alison1981. My mum was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, she's 69. She has displaying symptoms for well over a year so to get a confirmed diagnosis is a relief! You are not alone in your mum's aggressive behaviour. My mum has tried to attack my dad in the past with a frying pan. She has also barricaded herself into a bedroom, believing he may attack her. She says she hates him and wants to live on her own. It's so hard to deal with, because in her mind the fear is real. We try to convince her that my dad won't harm her, but she thinks we are siding with him. She brings the subject up again and again, saying how frightened she felt. We just have to keep reassuring her that we all care about her (including my dad but she doesn't see that) and that she is safe.

alison1981

Dec 13, 2013
Hi Alison1981. My mum was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, she's 69. She has displaying symptoms for well over a year so to get a confirmed diagnosis is a relief! You are not alone in your mum's aggressive behaviour. My mum has tried to attack my dad in the past with a frying pan. She has also barricaded herself into a bedroom, believing he may attack her. She says she hates him and wants to live on her own. It's so hard to deal with, because in her mind the fear is real. We try to convince her that my dad won't harm her, but she thinks we are siding with him. She brings the subject up again and again, saying how frightened she felt. We just have to keep reassuring her that we all care about her (including my dad but she doesn't see that) and that she is safe.

Hi Halsbury and welcome to TP.

It is scary when your mum goes for your beloved father to hit him. Thankfully, my father would never ever hit a woman but I can tell it is really getting to him. Every day my mum is searching for something she has lost and it makes me want to scream.

halojones

May 7, 2014
Have you had your mum checked for a UTI..?An infection can cause all sorts of horrible behaviour...I am sorry that your parents are going through all this,its just awful for everyone...

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi in dementia violence can be a form of communication..not nice for person doing it or recieving it...but nevertheless could be the petson trying to tell you and cant find the words and displaying with violence or aggressive behaviour....some alzheimers meds can make people worse and only work in a percentage!..other probs illnesses could make it worse like utis like increasing confusion...my dad gets verbally aggressive waving hands..I read about communication and aggression and use word association when hes tongue tied...and distraction technique when I can see him starting to get stroppy...I discuss his fav thing trains and he comes back down from this aggressive place...if you think about it yourself if your husband did or said something you didnt like and couldnt tell him verbally youd prob get frustrated...with dementia as you know things they like before they dont now..they cant cope with situations they wouldve before...its all change..good luck best wishes..keep typing

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Alison and Halsbury and welcome to TP, although I'm sad you both find yourself here. There's a wealth of experience here and it's a great community where we all support each other. I look forward to chatting with you and hope you get lots of advice on how to cope.