Obtaining Power of Atourney

Lenco

Oct 6, 2016
My wife who has dementia, is 80 years old and our house is in joint names. My problem is that I have been told by my solicitor that it is not possible to get power of aturney so that we could sell the house. What else can I do?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
An application can be made to the Court of Protection to allow the sale, the COP fee will be £400. A trustee will probably have to be appointed to protect your wife's interest.

Any solicitor should be able to organise this together with any proof of incapacity required by the COP

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello lenco, welcome to Talking Point, you have come to the right place for help and advice. I could not get POA because my husband has no mental capacity. My solicitor is applying to the courts so that l can get Deputyship, you can get the forms to fill in and do it yourself, it will cost you £400 payable to the courts, my solicitor's charges are quite expensive. I only need Health and Welfare, not for finances. Hope this has helped you.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello and welcome to TP. Does your wife still live at home, ( not essential) and does she understand that you would be moving house....if so, then she probably has capacity to a) either go ahead with the sale and purchase of a new house and b) sign a Lasting power of Attorner form to grant you POA.

If she does not have capacity then you will have to apply to become a Deputy and seek permission from the COP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana1