Not happy about mum staying at care home

Wendi Brickliffe

Mar 2, 2020
Hi
Since January 3rd 2020, my mum moved into a care home, due to possible dementia, which is still ongoing assessments. My dad, my sister and I are not happy with the care home she is staying at the moment, due to poor service, poor hygiene and duty of care e.g. mum wore same socks for 7 days, as we have informed the social service about it. Social service chose the care home for our mum because the funding is matched their price (£497 ish).

We do not want mum stayed there at the care home and we found another care home that we are happy to pay the difference, but unfortunately its fully and her name is on the waiting list. As we are concerned about the time length.

Please advise us what we should do with our mum's care and can mum go home with 24/7 carers provided until the bed becomes vacant?

Your advice would be great.
Wendi

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
If you are going to pay a top up please be aware that prices can increase hugely. The home increase its price from £700pw to £860pw in the 5 months he was on the waiting list. That’s an extra £650 per month extra.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Wendi Brickliffe and welcome to DTP. I am sorry to hear that your mum is in a care home that you are not happy about
can mum go home with 24/7 carers provided until the bed becomes vacant?
The answer to that is theoretically, yes. You will have to be able to show SS that whatever care is put in place can meet her needs. Also, be aware that SS will not fund 24/7 carers and it is eyewateringly expensive.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Its really hard to know what goes on in a CH when your not there. My mum was a very proud lady, clean, tidy and hair done every day. But as dementia has got a grip of her that has changed considerably even in a care home. I think the wearing of the same socks for 7 days in the scheme of things is not a huge issue and besides it may be that your mum is not allowing the carers to change them. They can't force your mum to do anything only support her. With that said I would speak to the manager face to face and ask if there any issues and what can be done to address them. Is your mum happy where she is? Would a move disrupt that she is happy? Where would you go if you find this is your mums behaviour and not the carers?

Be very mindful about care home fees, as these can become inflated if your choose to pay any differences or top-ups as @Melles Belles as very importantly stated.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
A year ago, while he was still in hospital, SS were suggesting the possibility of 24hr home Care for The Banjoman but there was no spare room in his flat and, quite honestly, I couldn’t see it working out anyway when he could be up wandering around half the night. I didn’t think he would like a stranger sharing his flat either, especially as he was getting stroppy with his carers when they tried to get him to do something he didn’t want to do.