NHS Health Scotland/Alzheimer Scotland resources

Crikey

Dec 12, 2010
Scotland
I was given a copy of the DVD made by NHS health scotland and alzheimer scotland: living well with dementia. It's been made for people with dementia, and their carers, particularly those with a new diagnosis. I watched it with my father, and it prompted some very big conversations, questions, and discussion, and really helped him talk about it. It's available from Alzheimer Scotland and the health boards, but also available to watch on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1321AC384A573125&feature=plcp

(one note about the youtube version, though: it includes BSL signing all the way through, which might be a bit distracting for people with dementia who don't need BSL interpretation.)

Alzheimer Scotland also sent me a huge pack of resources (thank you!) including the related book "coping with dementia" that's been written for carers. It's very clear and supportive, looking at emotional, physical, financial, and legal aspects, with discussions and practical tips and advice. While it is designed for those caring for people with moderate or later stages of dementia, it's pretty good (I think) for those looking after people in earlier stages too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amanda2847