New to TP

Maz63

Aug 4, 2017
Hi my father in law was diagnosed last September with vascular dementia. He has good and bad days and is still at home with my mother in law who is not in great health herself. They've got a community nurse going to see them tomorrow and I just wondered if anyone else knows what this will involve so that we are prepared for anything they will need to know
I am new to this site but have read some of the things written and strongly believe that this will be a big help to me as I feel that my husband is in denial and probably needs someone to help him with his own feelings too.

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
Welcome Maz63:)

I joined not that long ago, you will definitely find help,support and info here!

I'm a carer for my MIL. My husband her only child found it difficult to understand his mum's illness, but got a wake up call over 18mths ago when he went to stay with her for a few days. She is a widow. We have been full throttle since then. Sadly it is challenging and a constantly shifting situation. I gave up work to be able to do 3 days a week at MIL, & she spends most of sat at our house,but even this is now not enough!

Anyway, no advice re district nurse, but hope it goes well.

Keep posting!!!!:D

Maz63

Aug 4, 2017
Welcome Maz63:)

I joined not that long ago, you will definitely find help,support and info here!

I'm a carer for my MIL. My husband her only child found it difficult to understand his mum's illness, but got a wake up call over 18mths ago when he went to stay with her for a few days. She is a widow. We have been full throttle since then. Sadly it is challenging and a constantly shifting situation. I gave up work to be able to do 3 days a week at MIL, & she spends most of sat at our house,but even this is now not enough!

Anyway, no advice re district nurse, but hope it goes well.

Keep posting!!!!:D[/QUOTE

Hi Mimi thanks for your quick comment! It's good to know that there's so much support when you know where to look.! Take care.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I found the CPN (Community psychiatric nurse) very helpful in many ways. She came once a month to check up how the medication was going and report back to the consultant. She reminded me about other kinds of help like Alz groups, carers groups and contacted the local daycentre to get my husband a place. She constantly approached them for other days and pushed social work when I needed respite.

She gave me her direct phone number - very important - so I didn't have to go through the switchboard and I was able to phone her a few times for advice when things were bad.

Make a friend of the nurse if you can. I helped by accepting being a source for study when she had a student in training and was always willing to fill in forms and answer questions to help her tick another box.

They are there to help so be open and honest about how things are.

Maz63

Aug 4, 2017
I found the CPN (Community psychiatric nurse) very helpful in many ways. She came once a month to check up how the medication was going and report back to the consultant. She reminded me about other kinds of help like Alz groups, carers groups and contacted the local daycentre to get my husband a place. She constantly approached them for other days and pushed social work when I needed respite.

She gave me her direct phone number - very important - so I didn't have to go through the switchboard and I was able to phone her a few times for advice when things were bad.

Make a friend of the nurse if you can. I helped by accepting being a source for study when she had a student in training and was always willing to fill in forms and answer questions to help her tick another box.

They are there to help so be open and honest about how things are.

Thank you Marionq for your advice. I've just sat down and written down everything that I thought the nurse should know. My husband will be there tomorrow and I've just read your reply out to him with regards to getting a contact number.

Maz63

Aug 4, 2017
Thank you Marionq for your advice. I've just sat down and written down everything that I thought the nurse should know. My husband will be there tomorrow and I've just read your reply out to him with regards to getting a contact number.

Just a quick update Marionq. The nurse was grateful for the notes I wrote as both mil and fil said didn't need any help! She is visiting again next week as told my husband that she needed to get to know them. Thanks for your initial reply ☺

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyila