New to group

InSickness&Health

Mar 14, 2024
Hi! I’m new to the group and I’d like to know how you explain dementia to a loved one who thinks there is nothing wrong with him.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @cside929 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. From my experience - and others here will bear this out - you cannot explain dementia to a person who has it. A feature of dementia is that the person has no insight that they are doing anything different or that there is anything 'wrong'. It isn't a matter of denial but a sincerely held belief that things are just as they always were. Suggesting otherwise can lead to anger and worse. I chose not to labour the point with my wife as she would never accept it.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hard though it seems @cside929 I agree with @northumbrian_k

There is no point in trying to explain dementia to someone who doesn`t want to know and is unable to accept a diagnosis.

This might give you some insight.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum never accepted that he had dementia and would get very annoyed if I tried to remind her of what the doctor had said, so I just referred to her "poor memory" instead.

This inability to understand that there is something wrong with you is a very common (though little talked about) symptom of dementia called anosognosia