silverbiker

Dec 31, 2009
Somerset. U.K.
This is my first contact with this support organisation, I have been looking after my wife for just over 2 years now ever since she was diagnosed as suffering from altzheimer's. She was prescribed Aricept to start with, however this ceased to have any effect approx 2 months ago. She was then prescribed a newish treatment which consisted of applying patches (much the same as the nicotine patches to help give up smoking), which we tried for some 3 weeks. They had the effect of making her become aggresive, which was totally out of character. As this state of affairs could not continue, I was advised to stop giving her any medication at all. However her condition has continued to worsen, and I am now (after taking medical advice) having to give her Tamazipam to help her sleep at nights. This has proven only partially successful. I don't know if anyone else is in or has experianced similar problems, but I am now hoping that the local mental health team will offer my wife respite care for a week or so, to enable me to recharge my own batteries. It has got to the stage of me being afraid to go to sleep at nights, as recently she has been waking up in the small hours, convinced she has to get ready for work, and trying to make herself breakfast etc. It is a real hard job trying to settle her back down again.
Why do I log in as silverbiker? this is because riding motorcycles is my passion and I am now silver haired.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Silverbiker and welcome. I haven't any words of wisdom other thanto say you will find TP a great support. I am experiencing exactly the same problems with my mum just now re her talking about work (she's 92!) and waking throughout the night. She isn't on any specific dementia medication and I have been given diazapam for when she's bad. My husband has Alzheimer's but thankfully he has responded well to Aricept. I am sure you will get great support here. Take care. Izzy x

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
What a great name !!

Hiya Silver biker, i myself have AD at 52yrs old (early onset) and would just like to say a great big welcome to TP and hope you find it helpful. My wife and me have found so much and got so much from this site and i hope the same will apply to your goodself, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxx

weeze

Oct 4, 2006
nottingham
Hi Silverbiker,
My mum went through a similar stage with being obsessed with going to work.
I just wanted to give you a bit of advice about respite care. If your social services are anything like my mums was don't wait for them to offer as it will probably never come. You will need to be very firm with them to get anywhere so make sure you put your foot down with them and insist they provide respite for your wife.We all need to recharge our batteries from time to time.
Good luck
Louise

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Silverbiker

My husband too is obsessed with work. He forgets he receives a state pension and thinks he is penniless.
He wakes in the morning worried in case he has overslept.
He doesn`t want me to put his dirty clothes in the laundry basket as he forgets he has clean ones and is worried he`ll have no clothes for work.
He is frightened he`ll be homeless as he has no money for bills.
He refuses food, thinking he cannot pay for it.
I know many TP carers have similar problems and I`m sure it`s all to do with feelings of insecurity and low self esteem.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Silverbiker,

My husband wakes through the night..sometimes refuses to go to bed.

At the back of his mind is often the thought that he has to get ready for work, or be "somewhere" to play the piano.

It is extremely wearing and the sleep deprivation is hard to live with.

I suggest you ask for Respite...it may not be offered as a matter of course.

Welcome to Talking Point, by the way:) I'm sure you'll find it supportive and informative.

xx

silverbiker

Dec 31, 2009
Somerset. U.K.
Thank you all.

Thank you all for your replies, advice and messages of support. I am so glad that I joined this site. I only hope that in my own small way I can help and support others as you do.
P.S. had a visit from the Mental Health Team supervisor today, he was very helpful and is treating my request for respite as a priority. However he did say that I may have a bit of a wait. At least I now have them onboard.

Take care and all the best

Chris aka Silverbiker.

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Hi Chris

Hello and welcome to TP,i hope you will find the site useful.Just sorry you had to find us.Hope you dont have tolong to wait for your respite,take care Marian x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp