(New here) My mom started talking quietly.

EveryThingHurts

Sep 6, 2021
Hi. As you can see.. I'm new here. I came across this forum when I googled something about how my mom all of a sudden started speaking quiet/soft and found some posts but I can't start my own question there.
So... My mom has dementia and back in May she had a heart attack. These 2 things go hand in hand with my question/concerns. My mom always complained of sore throat and pressure on her chest before we moved back to Utah and it was shortly after we got here that she had the heart attack. While she was in the hospital I put it together and talked to the nurse about it. Basically her sore throat is connected to the chest pain. My mom has always talked loud so I became concerned when she started to whisper when she spoke...in the past week, after she has said or asked me something, I have to ask her what she said because I am tone deaf and it's so hard for me to hear.. As you all know.. this frustrates her and that's when the gibberish begins. She is still capable of talking loud because she has yelled for me when she needs help of some sort.. My son has also noticed this..he told me that yesterday she was talking to him and none of it made any sense.
SO..... What would cause her to talk quiet/soft?
I should also note that the heart attack which cannot be operated on has played a role of her dementia progressing.
Thank you.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and a belated welcome to Talking Point, @EveryThingHurts.
Sorry, I have no experience of that and can only suggest a referral to a Speech and Language Team, however that would work in the American healthcare system. We do have a knowledgeable membership and some members in your country, so you should find better advice. Anyway, good luck,

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @EveryThingHurts

I’m afraid I have no idea why dementia would cause someone to speak in a whisper unless, as in my mum’s case, it's fear (she was convinced the doctors were out to get her while she was in hospital). It must be particularly frustrating for you with your hearing problems too.

I found that my aunt would speak gibberish after she’d had a TIA and it took a few days to come back to normal. Is your mum any better yet?

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
My FIL had Lewy Body Dementia and his voice became very soft which I believe can be a Parkinson’s symptom.
Yes, can confirm it's symptomatic of Parkinson's. Not the only reason but it's due to the part of the brain that controls volume no longer working