New here, looking for advice...and to get things off my chest!

AndrewR

May 16, 2013
Hi all,

I'm going to preface this with an apology: this will be quite a long post. Also I'm certain everything I say / ask will have been covered before, but there's a lot to go through on this forum, and I'd just like to have a bit of a ramble anyway. Please indulge me!

So to kick us off, here are the key players in our story:

Mum

Mum is 66, which I understand is quite young for dementia. We first found out about her condition over a year ago, but in the past few months she's got sharply worse. She's still able to wash and dress herself and take care of her own bathroom needs at the moment (thankfully), but she gets confused very easily, can get aggressive at times and depressed at the others, and even at her best conversations with her will just be a handful of sentences repeated for hours. She quite often doesn't know who I am, or who the man who lives with her (my dad, her husband) is.

Dad

Dad is a few years younger than mum, and lives with her. He's also self employed and works from home, so is in the ideal position to be her full time carer. Unfortunately, he's really, really not coping well. In fact, in some ways I'm more worried about his health than about mum's. I spotted the signs of depression in him around christmas and alerted his GP, who has put him on some antidepressants, but they're having little effect. Occasionally he speaks in a suicidal manner - not overtly, but not massively subtly either. He also has quite a short temper (not in a violent sense, but in the sense that he's easily wound up) which obviously makes the situation even more difficult.

He's barely functioning on a day to day basis now, and even things like making a phone call are beyond him. A lot of the time he doesn't even pick up the phone, even if I let him know in advance to expect a call (say, from the GP or from the County Council.) Most attempts I make to help mum get bottlenecked at the stage where his involvement is required.

Me

I'm in my late 20s, and I no longer live with my parents. I work full time, and my office is far enough away from their house that it's very difficult to visit them on weekday evenings, but at current I'm trying to get back there nearly every weekend. I like to think that I'm coping with this well in the sense that I understand the effect the disease has and am able to separate mum from the dementia, so I don't get upset when (for instance) mum doesn't remember who I am, but dad isn't able to do this. I'm an only child, so dealing with this is pretty much all falling on my shoulders, and I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming, to say the leastt.

---

The situation:

To be brief, mum needs to be put into a home. I know this is a decision a lot of people have trouble with, which is understandable, but it's one I've reached fairly easily. Mum's already very difficult to deal with, and I know that it's only going to get worse as time goes by. At some points she is definitely going to need professional care, and the sooner that happens the better it will be for both her and dad.

(As a side note: I have looked at day care options, and have even booked mum in, but when it gets to the day dad doesn't take her. I've got a day off work next week and will take mum myself then, but I'm not sure how much good one day will do, given that I'm almost certain that come the following week, dad won't take her again. I'm also looking into a week long respite break for dad, but the council have told me they need to arrange that directly with him, as they need his consent, and when they call him he doesn't answer and doesn't return their messages.)

So I have spoken to mum's GP, and she has asked the care assessment team to go out and assess their needs. Mum and dad have already had one assessment a few months ago, but it was on one of mum's good days, and both her and dad told the team that everything was fine. They took it at face value, and left it there. I have let the GP know that the situation has gotten worse though, and like I say she has arranged a re-assessment which I will ensure I'm present for, but no date has been set yet, and I'm not really sure at present if there's anything I can do to speed this up other than keep getting on the phone and chasing people.

Question 1: If the assessment team determine that mum does need to be put into a home (which I really pray that they do), how quickly can this happen?

Financial issues are a concern here. I understand that private homes can run into the region of £700+ a week, which we can't afford at all.

Question 2: How much should we expect to pay in non-private homes? (I don't know what they're called - public homes? State homes?)

Question 3: What options are available to mitigate some of this cost? I know of attendance allowance (which I've submitted the forms for, but as I submitted them rather than mum herself - for obvious reasons - that in itself needs an assessment) and carer's allowance (which I understand can only be applied for once attendance allowance is approved) but if there's anything else that can help please let me know.

Which brings us on to the next point: mum has a reasonable (though by no means great) amount of savings, and is getting a decent-ish pension. Dad, by contrast, has a not inconsiderable amount of debt, no income to speak of at current (as he can't work due to caring for mum) and the mortgage is coming out of his account, so his debt is growing. I've asked him about his plan to sort this, but he doesn't have one: his attitude to this (and to pretty much everything at the moment, to be honest) seems to be that if he ignores it long enough, the problem will go away. I can't bail him out, as I'm just keeping my own head above water financially. Mum's savings are more than dad's debt (at current), but they're in her own account (rather than a joint one) and she doesn't understand the situation enough to authorise a transfer.

I was hoping to get power of attorney so I could manage mum's financial affairs for her, but there's no way a doctor will declare her mentally capable to do so. I've spoken to a solicitor today and she said that I would have to apply to the court of protection to become an appointed deputy, but that the application costs £400 and if I want to get a solicitor to do all the admin their fee would be £1200. Obviously I can't afford this.

Question 4: Are there any cheap (preferably free!) governmental resources to help here?

I've also got mum's car at the moment. She had an accident recently (not injured, thankfully) and the DMV have revoked her license. I knew that dad would not be able to stop her driving if the car was at their house (Actual conversation: "You can't drive, you've got no license and no insurance." "I don't care, if I want to drive I'll drive!") so I've taken it. Selling it would help somewhat with the financial situation, but to be honest I'm spinning so many plates at the moment that I don't feel I can cope with selling a car as well, and this is obviously lower priority than most things. Also I presumably can't sell it without her permission anyway, as it's her property.

...Ah, I've probably got a bunch of other things to ask, but it's gone 1am, I've got work in the morning, and this post is long enough already, so I'll wrap it up with one final question:

Question 5: Is there anyone I can talk to to really help me through all of this, and to take some of the administration away from me? Because in all honestly, I'm pretty lost, and I don't feel I can cope with sorting all of this (particularly given that, as mentioned, I'm working full time as well.) I'm pretty much constantly exhausted (staying up til gone 1am doesn't help...) and stressed out, and while I'm trying not to let that show to my parents, I could really use some help and guidance through all of this, so any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
With the best will in the world, no one will do anything on your say so, over and above your dads.
You can have a million social workers, who will see a host of problems, but unless your dad agrees, you are stuck. BEEN THERE DONE THAT, GOT THE TEE SHIRT!

You are exactly where I was for 10 or so long long years, absolutely nothing you can do if they don't want help. Your dad has to make the moves, encouraged by you maybe, but he has to do them.

I doubt while he has mental capacity ( however much a hash he makes of his own finances) you'd get POA.

If she has funds, she'd have to pay for care, full stop, its not negociable. anything over about 23K I think it is, and she/they have to self fund, yes the value of the house is taken into consideration too.

Are you in the UK? Not sure what you mean by a state home, Non private home - don't think there is such a thing!

Last edited:

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Andrew

Welcome to TP

Speak to Alzheimer's Society like has been suggested

You do need help, you have so much on your plate

Keep posting and sorry I have no other suggestions. But I am sure others will come onto your post and have suggestions

Take care
1952 x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
The only thing I can add to the above comes from my position of the daughter of a father with dementia and a mother who had total carer breakdown about 9 months ago. It's very real, and very hard to cope with and your dad really needs help.

Even if they have already had an assessment by social services needs change - and can do so quite quickly, especially with a condition like dementia. I would suggest if they both need assessing again. If at all possible I would try to be there when the assessment takes place but be prepared for opposition from your dad - however this is an occasion on which you'll need to be firm and tell it like it is.

If I could avoid just one carer going through breakdown like my mum has, I would.

Please let us know how you get on?

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
Hi Andrew and welcome to TP.

Sorry to hear what a mess your parents have gotten into (no blame apportioned, just life sucks sometimes)

I have more than enough dementia stuff to deal with at my end right now but I would like to pop in a quick overview answer to question 2. I would assume all homes are private and they set their own fees and agendas according to facilities, staff etc. If someone goes into care who is NOT self funding, the LA (Local Authority) will pay a set amount that they think is sufficient (let’s say their contribution might be £450/week. And I don’t think this money is paid direct, that would be far too simple) For some homes this money will be adequate but more than likely they will ask for a ’top up’. Wiser owls than me on TP regularly say ‘under no circumstances agree to pay for this!’ Care homes have a various rooms at various prices (on suite, good view, spacious, etc) which would account for why most homes usually have some cheaper rooms for the non self funding occupants.
Hope this helps a bit.
Best wishes and keep posting. X

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi Andrew

Just as an add on as I understand things, yes anything over 23k at the minute seems a person self finding however, with dad still at home and living in the house it cannot be sold to pay for mums care.

Your mums pension will be used to pay part of her fees, there is another benefit called Guarenteed credit you may want to look into but I'm not sure if this is just applicable to EMI nursing care you'd have to have a look.

Also, I'm not 100% sure that if mum goes into a home she will still be able to claim attendance allowance, my mums AA stopped the minute she went into her first care home.

If the funds that your parents have are not over £23k then the LA will pay part towards mums care. Does your mum have a social worker? A community psychiatric nurse? You should speak to both about your decision and get as much help from them as you can, more so the social worker to be fair.

Hope you get on ok

Sharon

AndrewR

May 16, 2013
Thanks for such a lovely response so quickly! :)

Regarding requiring dad's say so to do anything - it's not that he's actively opposing things, he just won't do anything that requires any kind of effort besides day to day activity. When I talk to him, he agrees with absolutely everything I say, but as soon as I'm not there he won't do anything. Like I said in my first post, that even extends to not picking up the phone, so even when I call the council / the GP / etc and ask them to call him, he just won't answer.

Good to hear that the local authority can help with paying for a home. Mum's savings aren't anywhere near £23k. She's got a house (shared with dad) but they haven't finished paying off the mortgage, so I'm not sure if that affects anything?

I will give the Alzheimer's Society a call as you suggest. I know they've had someone go out to see mum and dad a few times already, and while she's been lovely and very friendly, again we've run into the wall that dad just won't do anything, so all her advice has gone to waste. (It was her that gave us a list of local day care centers, but as in my previous post, when I arranged for mum to go to one dad didn't take her.)

This is exhausting!

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Keep your chin up Andrew, it's a long hard slog dementia but if you can get mum the right care hers, your dads and your lives will become easier. It won't seem like it at the minute but they will.

My mum was diagnosed at 66 and my dad was in denial for a long long time before. In the end I had mum admitted to a psychiatric assessment unit, thankfully I had a good relationship with mums social worker, CPN and community psychiatrist, as big a pains in the backside as they can be its worth getting on with them. All 3 knew that I wouldn't take being fobbed off from day 1. Dad had to agree mum needed to be admitted but I made the calls, the SW came back to me and said mums psychiatrist had said he wouldn't have her admitted I told her to go back to him and tell him 'no' wasn't an option. She did and 10mins later he had agreed to her admission.

Have a good chat to AS, they will provide you with some helpful information and point you in the right directions.

Sharon