New day, new drama...

Headless_chicken

Nov 6, 2023
Hi everyone, new to this forum so please excuse. I've been reading many of the posts and have been struck by how similar the experiences are to my situation. My Dad has not yet been diagnosed with any type of dementia but it has been clear that for sometime now that this is something going on and the research I've done over the years is pointing to a dementia type condition. This has been unofficially confirmed but let's see. I'm still trying to adjust to what that means for him, my Mum and me and the wider family and friends. I'm struggling. I've had to push so hard for three years to try and get the experts to work with me and together and I think, the diagnosis is coming, though I try not to anticipate it because, let's be honest there have been so many setbacks just getting to this point. I know and fully appreciate 'the system' is stretched, I really do, and I'm so grateful to all those who given advice and support. The adult me knows the future is only going to get worse. I know this but the child in me cannot accept the gradual disappearance of a parent. There is so much to think about, cope with and manage One day at a time though, right? Thanks for putting up with my mini rant.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi everyone, new to this forum so please excuse. I've been reading many of the posts and have been struck by how similar the experiences are to my situation. My Dad has not yet been diagnosed with any type of dementia but it has been clear that for sometime now that this is something going on and the research I've done over the years is pointing to a dementia type condition. This has been unofficially confirmed but let's see. I'm still trying to adjust to what that means for him, my Mum and me and the wider family and friends. I'm struggling. I've had to push so hard for three years to try and get the experts to work with me and together and I think, the diagnosis is coming, though I try not to anticipate it because, let's be honest there have been so many setbacks just getting to this point. I know and fully appreciate 'the system' is stretched, I really do, and I'm so grateful to all those who given advice and support. The adult me knows the future is only going to get worse. I know this but the child in me cannot accept the gradual disappearance of a parent. There is so much to think about, cope with and manage One day at a time though, right? Thanks for putting up with my mini rant.
i would wait until diagnosis. every person is different and how dementia will affect them. i wouldnt try and predict or work out what the problems you will face until you have to face them. you may not face that problem but another problem so you have worried unnecessarily. also how quick or slow the progress might be. i would breathe and wait. might not be as bad as you are expecting

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Welcome. I agree completely with Jennifer1967, we/I have bad days, sometimes weeks, but on the whole 5 and half years down the line from diagnosis me and my husband still have what I hope is a pretty good life. And things have not been anywhere near as awful or the decline so fast, as I originally anticipated. So try not to
worry, it does not stop bad things happening, just gives you pain as if they had.

Headless_chicken

Nov 6, 2023
Thank you both for your words. They do make absolute sense. It is not worth borrowing trouble, your own will find you soon enough! It is just sometimes things happen, like I think someone has been taking money from my Dad but I'm not sure where to go or do next. I've spoken with his bank and credit card company and I feel they know something but I'm not sure what to ask to move forward. I have registered LPA with them so they are allowed to talk to me.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Welcome @Headless_chicken

i similarly felt quite overwhelmed with the knowledge of how dementia ends up at the beginning.

I have switched to your taking it a day at a time tho. Each day I look and enjoy the positives - whether they be a smile, sitting relaxing together or even a bright flower. Doing this is getting me through.

No doubt dementia is awful - but none of us know what will happen tomorrow so I try not to live in that place.

This is also a great place to learn, receive support and have some fun too

special 1

Oct 16, 2023
Hi. don't be sorry for your rant this is all normal. My Husband has had dementia of some kind for a good few years, we told doctors that he was fatigued, could not get out of the chair without help. had balance issues, etc. We went to a clinic for the elderly and we were told he is good for his age. this was when he was 75. now he is 79. Had a brain scan , they said it was normal for his age. We told doctors many thins and it went in one ear out the other. Now my husband is getting help, but too late now as he can hardly speak or communicate. like you I am his full time carer with my daughter. It is certainly a rollercoaster. This won't make you !! feel any better. B💝ut you are not alone.