Needs assessment

Cornishpirate

Feb 22, 2019
Hi,
My gran has just had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's which I expected, however tried to get a needs assessment prior to this and they visited without informing family or friend even though and said she has no needs. How do I get another one as need a needs assessment to move her closer.
Thanks

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Cornishpirate, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.
However, I'm not sure a needs assessment will help with a house move as it's really about what is needed to keep a person living independently and safely in their own home.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Cornishpirate

Feb 22, 2019
Thank you. I do need a needs assessment for the supportive living place. This is so she can keep her independence. So many hops.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Cornishpirate
a warm welcome from me too
your gran has a right to a re-assessment of her care needs if her situation has changed since the last one
maybe list out all the changes you have noticed, including the diagnosis, and add the requirement of one for her application for a supportive living place - then contact her LA Adult Services, by phone if you wish but definitely follow up by e-mail so there is a 'paper trail' - if you have any contact details from the previous assessment, use those
if you are an Attorney for your gran, you may ask that you be the point of contact, especially if she agrees
if LPAs aren't yet in place, it would be wise to help your gran arrange these so that someone has the legal authority to support her with her finances and in health and welfare matters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Learning every day