Naked and unaware

Lostinthisdesert

Apr 21, 2023
My beloved husband aged 67 was diagnosed in Feb 23. He has now reggressed to the point where he has lost the social awareness to be clothed in public. On a few occasions he has appeared in front of family members wearing nothing below the waist but today was particularly bad. I was in the garden and he suddenly appeared wearing nothing but socks. It would be funny if it was not so distressing. His former self would be horrified and would want to die rather than a life like this. Essentially he has reggressed to a potty trained 2 year old.
Has anyone else been through this? Will it improve? Any advice to help him? He's already had a urine sample taken.
The memory clinic diagnosed alzheimer's but his decline is so rapid that I wonder if it it is FTD
I am heartbroken again! It's never ending. Need words of comfort!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hopefully, if he's unaware he won't be distressed but it is for you. Inhibitions do tend to be lost. No answers I'm afraid so not a lot of help

Oscar 10

Nov 3, 2023
My beloved husband aged 67 was diagnosed in Feb 23. He has now reggressed to the point where he has lost the social awareness to be clothed in public. On a few occasions he has appeared in front of family members wearing nothing below the waist but today was particularly bad. I was in the garden and he suddenly appeared wearing nothing but socks. It would be funny if it was not so distressing. His former self would be horrified and would want to die rather than a life like this. Essentially he has reggressed to a potty trained 2 year old.
Has anyone else been through this? Will it improve? Any advice to help him? He's already had a urine sample taken.
The memory clinic diagnosed alzheimer's but his decline is so rapid that I wonder if it it is FTD
I know exactly how you feel this is a dreadful disease our partners are nothing like they used to be I have to get his clothes out every morning and pjs at night he tries to get in bed with his slippers on and looks at me when I say you can’t wear slippers in bed i think you will have to make sure he’s dressed every day and try to keep an eye on him in case he undresses again this seems to be a common problem with this disease my friend would dress her husband then go to get herself dressed when she came back he would have taken everything off ?? I am struggling with my husband wherever we go he needs a wee and if we are on a dog walk in the park he just goes behind a tree it’s embarrassing I’m left to take watch incase someone comes along this is something he would never have done before but it feels like I have to make sure he goes before we go out then about 15 minutes later he needs another one he’s on Donepezil medication and this seems to be making things worse sending you virtual hug we never know what to expect each day do we xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to hear this @Lostinthisdesert. Heartbreaking indeed.

I’m afraid I’m another with no experience to help. Perhaps a discussion with his GP. Perhaps also give the Admiral Nurse Helpline a call.

Orsonkartt

Aug 6, 2023
Hi - my wife was diagnosed Alzheimer’s just over a year ago. - a few months back I’d invited a few old friends over for supper. It was about 7 pm when my wife went upstairs I thought to the loo. She returned naked from the waist down. She decided to go to bed but need help finding her nighty!

Like you I am surprised by how quickly she has changed . It is a tough one and hope you find comfort or renewed strength.

BeeBeeDee

Apr 19, 2023
Oh I am so sorry for your post, it must be very distressing for you and I can imagine that you want to cry alot. There are no words for how awful this all is. Sending you a big hug Xs

Lostinthisdesert

Apr 21, 2023
Hi - my wife was diagnosed Alzheimer’s just over a year ago. - a few months back I’d invited a few old friends over for supper. It was about 7 pm when my wife went upstairs I thought to the loo. She returned naked from the waist down. She decided to go to bed but need help finding her nighty!

Like you I am surprised by how quickly she has changed . It is a tough one and hope you find comfort or renewed strength.
Thank you. Besides the distress of the moment, I am anxious about what next!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@Lostinthisdesert, I'm sorry. I feel for you. I don't have experience but I've heard you can buy special clothes that fasten at the back , making it difficult for pwd to undress.

You may not feel you are at that stage yet if he toilets by himself but it's something to be aware of. . It may be better to toilet help him and have the special clothes. Difficult choices

I think someone posted once that they had put buttons l around the trousers and shirt bottom to prevent removing the trousers.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
My heart hurts for you too, having to watch him all the time. So hard to know what to do. big hugs, my dear

Lostinthisdesert

Apr 21, 2023
@Lostinthisdesert, I'm sorry. I feel for you. I don't have experience but I've heard you can buy special clothes that fasten at the back , making it difficult for pwd to undress.

You may not feel you are at that stage yet if he toilets by himself but it's something to be aware of. . It may be better to toilet help him and have the special clothes. Difficult choices

I think someone posted once that they had put buttons l around the trousers and shirt bottom to prevent removing the trousers.
Appreciate the ideas. He is able to shower and toilet independently at present and I want that to continue for as long as possible

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
oh I 'm so sorry for both you and your oh, I know he won't know what he's doing or how it's affecting you
my oh has alzheimers was dignosed about 3 years ago, and isn't at that stage yet, but none of us know how fast it all changes,,,someone earlier mentioned about clothes that button at the back, that could be worth a try...you need a cuddle...I'm sending you one xx

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
I really feel for you. We haven’t reached this stage but my OH who would never have come down partly dressed will now come down in boxers asking which trousers, shoes, socks, shirt …… even though they are all out. And he will still do it even if we have visitors, luckily so far it’s always been in the boxers. On your point about what comes next, for me personally I’d rather not think about it until it happens, I can’t change anything and everyone is different so it may not happen, I’m happier with my head in the sand! Sending you hugs.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee Smith