My sister has dementia

Kaffy

Apr 10, 2024
My sister has dementia and is bedridden. Until now her husband has been her carer.
He was recently taken into hospital seriously ill and no care provision for my sister was in place. I have suggested something is put in place for years but I feel they have slipped through the net due to my brother in law being a very private, independent, caring but unwell man.
My sister was also admitted to hospital to be assessed.
They are both home now and everything has changed, I believe for the better. A care plan has been put in place, however, already my brother in law has concerns about the level of care.
Carers come in 3 times a day, once to wash her, then the others to change her as she is doubly incontinent.
Apparently the total time carers were there was 20 minutes, total time not each time. This seems far too quick to her husband and I to care for my sister in a caring, thorough way.
I do of course realise this is very early days however my concern is that my brother in law is very stressed which is the opposite to the desired affect to take pressure from him for his own wellbeing.
Is there anywhere that I can find out what carers are and aren’t allowed to do and how long depending on my sister’s needs carers should spend with her. She needs 2 carers.
Can they use a hoist?
I am really hoping this will be a positive move forwards and would really appreciate some advice.
Many thanks in advance…

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi @Kaffy and welcome to the community - I hope you find it to be a supportive place here.

I'm so sorry to hear that your sister and brother in law have slipped through the net over the years, but I'm glad a care plan has been put in place now.

With your concerns about the level of care being given to your sister, I'm sure others will be along soon to offer support and suggestions.

Kaffy

Apr 10, 2024
I hope so too. Today morning carers came at 11.20 am and then afternoon at 12.20 midday. That made no sense. They are in and out so quickly, how can they do a full wash and change in 6 minutes and care in a caring, respectful way? Impossible! This is the 5th and 6th time they have cared, each time about 6mins. Just not good enough. It is not reassuring for my brother in law, in fact it is causing more stress than when he was her carer which unfortunately is no longer possible.
I know it depends on individual situations but any advice on how long it should take to change a person who is bedridden and also to fully wash cream and change that person?
I hoped this would be a positive move forwards but not so far. Any advice would be gratefully received…

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
I'm sorry you have not had some answers about usual level of care. - I can't really help as not experienced this type of home care but just wanted to say I thought visits were normally half an hour - still perhaps not enough but better than you are getting. Is it possible your brother -in-law is not being quite accurate bearing in mind his previous reluctance to have carers. Has he or could you contact the agency and find out what the care regime is supposed to be or have you already done this. I think he should expect to be told what the regime is supposed to be and complain if it is not being carried out correctly. Hopefully you will get some more answers soon so keep looking at the site.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
I hope so too. Today morning carers came at 11.20 am and then afternoon at 12.20 midday. That made no sense. They are in and out so quickly, how can they do a full wash and change in 6 minutes and care in a caring, respectful way? Impossible! This is the 5th and 6th time they have cared, each time about 6mins. Just not good enough. It is not reassuring for my brother in law, in fact it is causing more stress than when he was her carer which unfortunately is no longer possible.
I know it depends on individual situations but any advice on how long it should take to change a person who is bedridden and also to fully wash cream and change that person?
I hoped this would be a positive move forwards but not so far. Any advice would be gratefully received…

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
I used to be a carer and I m certain the minimum visit to such cases must be 30 minutes. Have you repoeted this flying visits to the company providing the care?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have been told the times allotted for care in the home includes travelling time between two clients.

I don`t know if this is true of all agencies but if so, it will reduce the time spent with each individual.

I think two carers can use a hoist.