My partner has just been diagnosed with Wernickes

Bud131

Jul 12, 2021
Hi , My partner has just been diagnosed with wernickes. He has always been a heavy drinker and had a severe brain injury 12 years ago, which he amazingly recovered fairly well from apart from losing his sense of taste, which put him off eating. I noticed nearly 2 years ago that his eye was turning and after going to the optician he was told to see his GP. After vising , he got an appointment with a neuro opthmologist. in the meantime he fell down the stairs and went to A& E. They immediately directed him to the neuro opthamologist at the hospital and he had a scan on his brain. After a 2nd appointment there were 4 different reasons for his eye turning that the doctor was going to investigate - one of which was wernicke . He recommended that he have a thiamine injection and this was sent to his GP( this was a year ago) His GP did not give him the injection and prescribed some vit b tablets instead - at this point i didn't realise this was not good enough. As time went on waiting for the hospital to get back , he virtually gave up eating - I got in touch with the GP and asked for a dietician (Did nothing) asked for mental health support ( I had to get in touch myself) and asked for help with alcohol( I got intouch with Alcohol support myself) . Just before Christmas my partner fell and broke his hip and had to have a hip replacement. We tried to get the hospital appointment but found out the consultant was retiring! Tried to get support from GP asked again for Dietician ( did not get) and was told he was depressed and given anti-depressants!!! Finally after lots of phone calls got a hospital appointment and finally got a diagnosis but in the meantime his health has gone down hill ( going to bed 20 times a day, talking to himself, sometimes forgetful and not eating) I am making smoothies , giving him protein drinks, complan anything I can . I have felt completely on my own and it has been an uphill battle whilst holding afulltime job, looking after an both elderly moms. The question I want to ask is- Im waiting to hear from consultants about a thiamin injection , if I have to wait much longer is there amnywhere I can go privately ?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking point @Bud131

I’m afraid I have no idea how to get thiamine injections privately. I’d try phoning the local private hospital to see if they can offer any advice.

It sounds as though you really have your work cut out and a GP who’s about as much use as a chocolate teapot! I’d keep badgering the GP (politely) until I got the injection sorted.

Any chance of finding a different GP?

Bud131

Jul 12, 2021
Welcome to Dementia Talking point @Bud131

I’m afraid I have no idea how to get thiamine injections privately. I’d try phoning the local private hospital to see if they can offer any advice.

It sounds as though you really have your work cut out and a GP who’s about as much use as a chocolate teapot! I’d keep badgering the GP (politely) until I got the injection sorted.

Any chance of finding a different GP?
Thank you for the reply , you’re absolutely right the GP has not been helpful , I’m going to see what the consultant has to say , hopefully tomorrow and if I’m not happy I’ll have to start phoning private hospitals !

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5