my mum has been told she has vascular dementia

jaylawson

Sep 24, 2014
wigan uk
hi my mum has been told she has vascular dementia she is on donepezil hydrochloride 5mg they are seeing how she will go on it and after 4 weeks up it to 10mg she has been hallucinating on them for the 1st 2 weeks but seems to of settled down im going away on holiday in 4 weeks time but don't think I should go as I have 3 brothers 1 sister and none of them seem to bother and lead there own lives its been 1 year since my dad died of cancer and I looked after him now I'm doing the same for my mum with no help from any of the family can I get help for 1 week to look after my mum ?...... I would love to go on holiday and I'm only 1.5hr away if I'm needed any help would be nice thanks jay.

Last edited:

halojones

May 7, 2014
Hi jaylawson, I am sorry for you to have lost your dad and now your mum has this horrid illness..Firstly, if your mum is going to be okay then you should go on your holiday,make the most of it while you still can..As for the siblings, it does happen that if one person takes on all the caring then they will quite happily leave you to it(we call them the invisibles)! You could call a meeting and discuss what everyone's role and responsibilities would be??but be warned, there can be a lot of conflict..it could be that they really are just oblivious to the work involved or just want you to get on with it? It does make us angry though when they don't help ...surely one of them can help your mum while you go away??have you had the social services involved yet?please get in touch with them as they can arrange carers,but you need some time for it all to be arranged..keep posting and you should get some more advice..take care x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yourmindanwe