My mother has alzheimers and my father died yesterday with vascular dementia

unluckylady

My mother has had dementia for last four years from early stages to the point where my father could no longer look after her at home so she had to go to a nursing home in March 2009. She no longer knows either my brother or me. The strain of all this on my father brought on three strokes in early November of 2009 and he was diagnosed with vascular dementia eventually after months in hospitals and mental assessment units and unfortunately my brother and I had to put him in a nursing home also! My mother is ok and well looked after at a really good home, but my father has gone down hill very quickly. Last week he got a chest infection and was not strong enough to fight it and passed away yesterday afternoon. Needless to say my brother and I are both distraught about this. Has anyone else had this unfortunate chain of events?

POPPY67

words can not say how sorrt i am for your loss my thoughts are with you and your family be strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unluckylady

Sorry I think I have posted in the wrong thread as you can tell Im very much a newbie at this! But thanks for your sentiments!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Hello unluckylady

You have posted in the right place but please don`t worry, you may post anywhere. I`m so sorry you have both parents with dementia and now have lost one. It is no wonder you are distraught.

My mother died in 2002 after suffering dementia for several years. In 2005 my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers.

TinaT

Some people say that you are never given more than you can cope with! I often wonder if they have ever had any experience of dementia! You have certainly had your fair share and more having both your parents so very ill.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your father; this must have hit you very hard indeed. In a way your mother is the one who probably won't suffer as much as you are doing because she may have partially lost him some time ago because of this dreadful disease.

I wish you all the best and am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you keep on posting and let us know how the family are coping.

xxTinaT

gigi

I'm so sad to read your post.

I have met others who had similar situations to your parents and I understand how devastating this is for the family.

You will come to terms with this eventually, I'm sure.

Please know that we are here for you.

Love xx

maryw

So very sorry to hear of your sad loss; your emotions must be in turmoil. You have posted in the right place and you will receive support here, so continue posting and take care of yourself xx

Last edited:

Loopiloo

How tragic for you and how devastated you must be. My heart goes out to you and your brother. Please do write, let it out, and that can help. As someone earlier wrote, you will receive support and comfort here.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Please accept my sincere condolences. I am so sorry you have to go through all this.

Yes I have
My mother died from stroke related VAD last September and my husband has been suffering for the last 7 years. He is Totally dependable 24/7 after 3 strokes.
However, I am lucky to be able to care for him at home as I did my mother.

May you and your brother find the strength to get through this very hard time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shy