My father doesn’t accept his diagnosis of vascular dementia

Bear123

Oct 30, 2023
Hello,
I am struggling the the care of my father. He doesn’t accept his diagnosis but is muddling everything he is doing. This can be from calling the drs. and not knowing why, appointment he makes he doesn’t know why or who they are with. Also he seems to only be able to think about planning his food for the day which makes it very hard to plan my life and get a plan for his meals etc. Does anyone have any experience of this and advice on how I can support him, but not have to try and sort out the appointments…. etc.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi,
My husband has Parkinsons dementia and vascular dementia and the vascular dementia is the newer and the far more difficult to manage and predict. I find they have a complete lack of insight into their disease so believe they are managing when they are not. Would he let you initiate a sort of diary system for appointments to be made, things to buy etc. Before my husband was in care we used an Alexa for reminders of all types and it seemed to help. Also have you come across Dementia navigators? I think the community mental health team or social services refer your Dad to them and they help with managment techniques.
Good luck and don't think its you not doing it right. All dementias are horrible diseases which claim more than one victim.

Bear123

Oct 30, 2023
Thank you for your suggestions. I have suggested we use the Alexia, but he says he doesn’t need to be reminded. I will look into the dementia navigators ( great name).
Every day feels like a new and confusing mess to try and get to the bottom of.
I suggest a calendar to him. Thank you.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Support Forum @Bear123. Do you have Lasting Power of Attorney? If you don't I'd try and get it sorted as soon as possible. If you do, you could perhaps try to get any information about appointments sent to you so you can then tell your dad on the day. I was quite lucky in that my mum was partially sighted so even though she didn't think that she had cognitive issues she accepted that her eyesight was poor and left all her post for me to read. I could then organise stuff and filter out the things I knew would worry her.

Bear123

Oct 30, 2023
Sarah’s
Thank you for your suggestion. I do have POA. I will contact the doctors and ask that they also inform me. I think the confusion is when he changes appointments or makes them himself. I am hoping the idea of getting him to write it down might help. It’s not an easy situation.