My dads had a fall

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
Hi

Just given my dad his morning call to check all ok before I go to work and found out he'd 'tripped' at some point late last night or early hours can't pinpoint when. He didn't call me as he couldn't remember how to use his mobile and forgot the community alarm around his neck!

Rushing off to check up in him and kicking myself as only the other day was thinking he was looking unsteady on his feet.

Is this something common with AS ??? Do they become unsteady as the disease progresses??

Feel so guilty as I woke at 5am with a funny feeling - didn't get a chance to call in last night as I was going for food with a friend and was running late from work - if I'd called in I may have noticed something was wrong!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Oh tiggs i hope your dad is ok how worrying for you, try not to put so much blame on yourself , you weren't to know that he wouldn't be able to summon help,

Best wishes Jeany xx

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Hi Tiggs

(((big hugs))) For you & your Dad

Someone will come along with more help but just thought I would let you know that

From what I gather Yes this is familiar

Our Morning Carers often go to people and find them on the floor so don`t you feel bad

x x x

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Tiggs

I am thinking of you and please don't blame yourself. Tripping can happen because often their brain doesn't tell their feet to lift up properly. My MIL is the same her feet appear to become like concrete and at times she shuffles and trips x

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
It might me time to think about moving from the neck alarm to a Telecare System.

If they fall it automatically triggers a call to the call centre to alert us or the emergency services to get them help and they don't have to press the button. I've had to do this for mum as she forgets she is cooking food, or forgets how to use the microwave and that's dangerous. It's an upgrade of the necklace and makes them safer.

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
It might me time to think about moving from the neck alarm to a Telecare System.

If they fall it automatically triggers a call to the call centre to alert us or the emergency services to get them help and they don't have to press the button. I've had to do this for mum as she forgets she is cooking food, or forgets how to use the microwave and that's dangerous. It's an upgrade of the necklace and makes them safer.

Thank you - will look into this today as I didn't know it was an option. I thought I had it sorted with the alarm and he was at least safe x

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
Thank you guys - this is all happening so quick - 6 months ago he was still walking my whippet twice a day and now he's shuffling around.

Will also call the drs x

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thank you - will look into this today as I didn't know it was an option. I thought I had it sorted with the alarm and he was at least safe x

We learn as we go, like you I thought it was sorted with the necklace but then when she started setting the fires, she let the Community Psychiatric Nurse back in (chucked the doctor out for mentioning Dementia) who referred to the OT and we have managed to get it all upgraded. Now there is an automatic alarm.

We had to have a financial check from the council to see how much she'd have to pay but there is no price on her safety for me or for any of us I am sure. x x

Last edited:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thank you guys - this is all happening so quick - 6 months ago he was still walking my whippet twice a day and now he's shuffling around.

Will also call the drs x

If it is vascular as it is with my mum it goes down in steps. So they will level out for a while, then drop suddenly, then level and drop. It depends on the type of dementia. Mum has Tia's and you can see the massive drops in mental capacity after them.

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
We learn as we go, like you I thought it was sorted with the necklace but then when she started setting the fires, she let the Community Psychiatric Nurse back in (chucked the doctor out for mentioning Dementia) who referred to the OT and we have managed to get it all upgraded. Now there is an automatic alarm.

We had to have a financial check from the council to see how much she'd have to pay but there is no price on her safety for me or for any of us I am sure. x x

Definitely I'm more than happy to pay - just want him to be safe . I work full time and quite often away from home when I definitely wouldn't get to him so this seems like the safest option x

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
If it is vascular as it is with my mum it goes down in steps. So they will level out for a while, then drop suddenly, then level and drop. It depends on the type of dementia. Mum has Tia's and you can see the massive drops in mental capacity after them.

My dad has altzeimers at the moderate to late stages. I had noticed bruised in his arms which he explained as coming from 'navigating his way around doors !' - it makes sense now that he is probably becoming unsteady x

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Definitely I'm more than happy to pay - just want him to be safe . I work full time and quite often away from home when I definitely wouldn't get to him so this seems like the safest option x

The maximum is only around £10 a week if they are on low income it can be nothing. I have only just learned about this in the last month, so this site is great for learning off each other.

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
The maximum is only around £10 a week if they are on low income it can be nothing. I have only just learned about this in the last month, so this site is great for learning off each other.

Thank you! I have learnt more in 2 days here than I have from anywhere else in the past 4 months xx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I have leaned everything from this site ie council tax, carers allowance to name just a few. This site is a life saver x

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands

Steps is a really good description. Mum seemed to have levelled out and the weekend saw another step down with a sharp decline in her ability to walk. She's on anti=B 's for a possible UTI ( GP just prescribed rather than wait for wee test) but I cannot really see that it is. We'll see. We seem to do a week of anti-B's, things pick up a bit, then supposed UTI again 3 weeks later. Seems to be about 5 days every month she has a supposed UTI.

I think they are steps down myself, on this slippery staircase.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Steps is a really good description. Mum seemed to have levelled out and the weekend saw another step down with a sharp decline in her ability to walk. She's on anti=B 's for a possible UTI ( GP just prescribed rather than wait for wee test) but I cannot really see that it is. We'll see. We seem to do a week of anti-B's, things pick up a bit, then supposed UTI again 3 weeks later. Seems to be about 5 days every month she has a supposed UTI.

I think they are steps down myself, on this slippery staircase.

UTI's can knock them for six and bring on hallucinations without dementia, they need to check this out properly. Mum has been hospitalised with UTI's several times. They have to check if it is a UTI for sure.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potato head