My Dad has been sectioned under section 2.

Loopylou7770

May 4, 2013
Hertfordshire
My Dad's behaviour has become more and more challenging, he has early onset Mixed Dementia Alzheimers and Vascular. He had to move into a home for his own safety last November, he settled well but over the last 2 months he's become aggressive, refusing personal care and refusing to take his medication, they tried covertly but he would taste it and leave the food. Last week Mental Health team advised it would be best to admit Dad into hospital. He was sectioned on Friday, I visited Saturday & it took me 30 minutes to wake dad up and get some response from him, I asked if he had been medicated they said Nothing new, Sunday he was a little better, at least he was up and walking around. My Dad has no speech, just mumbles so I don't know how he's feeling. I didn't go yesterday and today I'm going this afternoon, I dreading it, the place is horrible, not even like a hospital, there is no privacy, their not allowed to be in their bedrooms so all in the communal room, the staff are not particularly friendly, I've been on a visit to a prison that had a friendly feel to it. I tend to be very observant when I go places and I notice that the staff all sit in positions, I'm sure that this is due to patients kicking off, but they don't seem very caring and this scares me, to have my dad there, he's only 67 and very strong and if they tried handling him like I've seen them handle one of the other men, I know my dad would kick off, I always thought the staff are suppose to be trained to manage in a non confronting way. I cry every time I leave, I just hope and pray that he's only in there for 28 days max!! Can anyone advise me on the processes, what questions should I be asking, will I be updated by the hospital Doctor's, feeling very lost and out of my depth:eek:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Loopylou7770
you and your dad are really going through it at the moment :(
I know that I have read threads which may give you heart as when the PWD was sectioned, this was the chance for meds etc to be assessed and for the PWD to settle into new routines
it may take a while for one of the members with direct experience to see your thread and respond
just wanted to send sympathy in the meantime

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Loopylou, I wanted to sign in with a bit of solidarity and say that mum was sectioned this afternoon. I have not been to see her yet as I am feeling a bit emotionally wrecked, but will do so tomorrow.
I will post again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Toddleo
just to send sympathy and hope that you managed to get some rest last night
best wishes for the visit today

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
My husband was also sectioned in 2014, but it wasn't as bad as you describe the place where your Dad is, so I'm not much help really. It was like a cross between a hospital and a care home and patients could stay in their room or sit in various chairs in the wide corridors or the lounge or dining room. There was also access to secure courtyard gardens and a good occupational therapy programme.

I hated him being there, and cried all the way home after each visit, but it was the first stepping stone to getting him where he is now - having correct medication and getting him to a good home where they are able to manage his challenging behaviour.

I hope things improve - maybe your Dad was over-sedated when you first saw him, and they haven't got the meds quite right yet. Its good that he has you to look out for him but I am sure you could express any concerns to the staff and ask what his care plan is.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Hi Toddleo
just to send sympathy and hope that you managed to get some rest last night
best wishes for the visit today
many thanks Shedrech, it's appreciated.
A difficult day obviously, but some positives.
The unit is a nice one and not anything like loopylou's experiences with her dad.
The staff are very professional, and just being with them makes me feel reassured. I don't know how these people manage to do the difficult job they do sometimes. Mum has been very violent since her arrival, and had to be admitted to A and E 30 mins after arriving at the unit, because she fell during a tussle with staff and ended up with a black eye! they can not get any blood from her because she is too agressive at this stage.
Poor mum/poorstaff/poor us!
Early days of course, I will remember that this is a chance for us to have a breather and resist the urge to visit too often, in fact, tomorrow will be a day of rest for me.
Hope Loopylou is ok too

Last edited: