Mums 'Noises' causing problems-annoyance to others at care home

pjones

Dec 3, 2012
Mothers now been at care home since January 2013. Shes got worse but care seems quite good most of the time. They are trying their best with her. She has lost her speech now and finding it difficult to walk now too. The most frustrating thing is she understands people but is unable to express herself in words. She makes constant 'noises' which is annoying others there. She has to be isolated for periods in her room as a result. Drives everybody nuts!! Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem as we all would prefer her to be around others? She also dosent like it in her wheelchair and now makes so much noise we cant take her out!! Reads a lot although dont think she understands what she is reading most of the time. Anyone had similar problems?

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Hi PJ,

There was a woman at my SF's NH who would repeat a phrase, at volume, maybe twenty times then have a couple of minutes break and start over again. Through the night she frequently woke for a little reprise too.

Spending many hours a day at the NH it never occured to me to complain! Poor soul had lost her grip on regular speech and IMO had every right to communicate by the only means left to her. This was the prevailing attitude at the NH from my observation.

Sitting in the wheelchair: possible your Mum's physically uncomfortable/insecure? I ordered a memory foam cushion at the same time as SF's wheelchair because the sort you see around NHs are built for transit, and aren't very comfortable for more than short periods. Also had a seatbelt fitted as SF felt edgy without one. Would ask for anything physical like a pressure sore or continence issue be looked into as well.

Good luck!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother vocalized a lot for quite some time. She still goes through periods of going "da da da da" but not for hours at a time.

I understand how frustrating it can be for everyone and I feel sorriest for the other residents but I don't agree with isolating your mother unless it's only for half an hour at a time. It's not fair to her either.

I have no solution for you, only understanding and sympathy.

pjones

Dec 3, 2012
Thks for your reply. We keep battling on. Thks again.
Hi PJ,

There was a woman at my SF's NH who would repeat a phrase, at volume, maybe twenty times then have a couple of minutes break and start over again. Through the night she frequently woke for a little reprise too.

Spending many hours a day at the NH it never occured to me to complain! Poor soul had lost her grip on regular speech and IMO had every right to communicate by the only means left to her. This was the prevailing attitude at the NH from my observation.

Sitting in the wheelchair: possible your Mum's physically uncomfortable/insecure? I ordered a memory foam cushion at the same time as SF's wheelchair because the sort you see around NHs are built for transit, and aren't very comfortable for more than short periods. Also had a seatbelt fitted as SF felt edgy without one. Would ask for anything physical like a pressure sore or continence issue be looked into as well.

Good luck!

pjones

Dec 3, 2012
Thks for your support. We keep battling on. Phil
My mother vocalized a lot for quite some time. She still goes through periods of going "da da da da" but not for hours at a time.

I understand how frustrating it can be for everyone and I feel sorriest for the other residents but I don't agree with isolating your mother unless it's only for half an hour at a time. It's not fair to her either.

I have no solution for you, only understanding and sympathy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5