Mum's MRI brain scan results?

Subo72

May 11, 2017
Hi all, new to the forum and very anxious about my mum.

She is 79, and although reasonably physically fit and well, has been showing some signs of short term memory decline for a year or so. She was 200 miles away from me, but we moved her closer so now I'm only 30 mins drive away. She is in a retirement flat, with warden support but living independently.

She went for an MRI brain scan recently (she actually took herself to the doc knowing her memory was failing) and, according to her very brief account of the psychiatrist who visited her at home, the scan showed shrinkage of the brain. That's all she could tell me, oh plus they've given her Ibixa to slow the atrophy process?

So what does it mean? They've notified DVLA so she can't drive anymore. But they took her through all the dementia verbal tests and she passed easily. She knows what day it is, where she is, she can get up and washed and dressed, she never misses an appointment and she wipes the floor with the old ladies in the community room at scrabble and rummikub haha! But she can't remember if she's eaten today, or what she had, and she won't recall conversations or even having a bad cold and a fever last week. Last night she explained about the DVLA and her licence being rescinded on the phone, then went straight on to ask me 4 times why she wasn't allowed to drive...in the space of 5 minutes.

Plus she can be a bit inappropriate at times...I'm wondering about her normal inhibitions being affected!

It all seems to be escalating and I have no idea what to do next. What should I be doing? Talking to her doctor?

Thanks for any support. I'm feeling a bit at sea.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
. . . She went for an MRI brain scan recently (she actually took herself to the doc knowing her memory was failing) and, according to her very brief account of the psychiatrist who visited her at home, the scan showed shrinkage of the brain. That's all she could tell me, oh plus they've given her Ibixa to slow the atrophy process?

So what does it mean? They've notified DVLA so she can't drive anymore. But they took her through all the dementia verbal tests and she passed easily. She knows what day it is, where she is, she can get up and washed and dressed, she never misses an appointment and she wipes the floor with the old ladies in the community room at scrabble and rummikub haha! But she can't remember if she's eaten today, or what she had, and she won't recall conversations or even having a bad cold and a fever last week. Last night she explained about the DVLA and her licence being rescinded on the phone, then went straight on to ask me 4 times why she wasn't allowed to drive...in the space of 5 minutes.

My mother 'passed' those 'memory tests' (30/30) for years, before we got a diagnosis.

If there is brain shrinkage/damage, much depends which area is affected, so certain abilities will be perfectly normal and others compromised. One of the reasons why every person with dementia is unique.

As the brain 'links'responsible for sending messages fail, the brain can manage to find alternative routes for a while, until finally the last 'bypass' fails and they lose competence in that area.

Subo72

May 11, 2017
Ok thank you...I just wasn't sure if this was in the category of early stage dementia or not really. I guess it is, and further decline is inevitable then.

Wozzie

Jul 12, 2016
Cheshire
Hi Subo72
Mums memory test results have been ok, even on the day she went into care, although her confusion was terrible.
Her brain scan reported mixed dementia.
As lemonjuice says, everyone's dementia is different,
Take care of yourself, this is a great site for help and advice
Anne

Subo72

May 11, 2017
Thanks Anne. I'm reading through lots of threads and you are all amazing...so knowledgeable! I don't have a clue really, kind of hoped it would never happen to her.

I'm so frightened of when she gets more confused, I won't be able to care for her myself and feel a big weight of guilt about that. She says now that I'm not to worry and I must put her in a care home when she doesn't know which way is up!

She has a little cash and her property, but that won't last long in care costs. No idea how it works. I have both POAs, registered but not activated - she still has capacity.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Thanks Anne. I'm reading through lots of threads and you are all amazing...so knowledgeable! I don't have a clue really, kind of hoped it would never happen to her.

I'm so frightened of when she gets more confused, I won't be able to care for her myself and feel a big weight of guilt about that. She says now that I'm not to worry and I must put her in a care home when she doesn't know which way is up!

She has a little cash and her property, but that won't last long in care costs. No idea how it works. I have both POAs, registered but not activated - she still has capacity.

Hi Subo

It's good that you've done the LPAs but you really must get them registered ASAP as they are not valid until you do so. Once registered, you only need to use them if your mum can no longer do things for herself.

For instance, in the early stages, my wife could not sign her name (she would print in block capitals) or answer security questions etc.

Best wishes
Phil

Quakeroat1

Jan 1, 2017
Scarborough
I passed the initial memory tests too and still have a quite decent memory for some things...but organisation and concentration is shot to pieces.

Jaed

May 6, 2017
Hi Subo

Your mum[s condition is so similar to my mother's, I could almost have written your post!

She is asking the same questions about driving as yours. I've moved in with her because unlike your mum, mine has always said 'please don't put me in a home'. She won't move to another house. I cook even though she wants me out of her kitchen, or she wouldn't eat or she would just eat biscuits things like that but only if she were very hungry. She doesn't remember if/what she's eaten. She gets up in the night too because she thinks she hasn't had her pills.

We sometimes have quite lengthy conversations but they are always about the same things. She's taking Aricept but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I'm going to look up Ibixa now. I might try and take her to a different memory clinic as the one she goes to seems to dismiss us too quickly.

I'm always searching for answers, and reading on new research. I read that two drugs already in use for cancer and depression are going to be trialed for dementia soon.

Your mum sounds lovely and seems to be taking it in her stride. That's a big plus.

Sending strength to you.

Jaed

Hi all, new to the forum and very anxious about my mum.

She's getting a bit unsteady on her feet now and can't walk very far.

She is 79, and although reasonably physically fit and well, has been showing some signs of short term memory decline for a year or so. She was 200 miles away from me, but we moved her closer so now I'm only 30 mins drive away. She is in a retirement flat, with warden support but living independently.

She went for an MRI brain scan recently (she actually took herself to the doc knowing her memory was failing) and, according to her very brief account of the psychiatrist who visited her at home, the scan showed shrinkage of the brain. That's all she could tell me, oh plus they've given her Ibixa to slow the atrophy process?

Plus she can be a bit inappropriate at times...I'm wondering about her normal inhibitions being affected!

It all seems to be escalating and I have no idea what to do next. What should I be doing? Talking to her doctor?

Thanks for any support. I'm feeling a bit at sea.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It sounds very much like the frontal lobes have been affected Subo. The frontal lobes affect planning, social inhibitions and executive functions, but not so much the short-term memory. Your mums memory sounds very much like my OH - he can remember facts (what day is it? who is the Prime Minister?) but has lost episodic memory so cant remember details of things he has done or conversations that he has had.

Subo72

May 11, 2017
Thank you for all your comments, they are very enlightening. Lots to think about.