Mums lost quite a bit of weight

nic001

Sep 23, 2022
The last few times I’ve visited mum she’s looking smaller and smaller. She’s 80 and petite anyway but she’s literally shrinking. I’ve seen her eating, I take i. treats and she always accepts a few eg. Chocolates and really enjoys them. She has COPD so can be tired and I’m thinking sometimes it’s too much effort to eat a big meal but the care home haven’t said that. They are monitoring her weight.
She initially lost quite a bit from just before Xmas into the new year - she slept through most of it, always has kind of hibernated through the winter period. We always laughed because her and dad slept through till Spring!
Recently her weight has stabilised, but she’s very small and I’m trying not to be too worried but I guess I am a bit.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
My mum didn’t have dementia but did have COPD and we were told that it was hard to eat as the body was using all its effort on breathing and had no energy left for eating. Don’t know if it was true, but certainly that’s what we were advised when I worried about her eating.

nic001

Sep 23, 2022
My mum didn’t have dementia but did have COPD and we were told that it was hard to eat as the body was using all its effort on breathing and had no energy left for eating. Don’t know if it was true, but certainly that’s what we were advised when I worried about her eating.
I think that makes total sense.
I guess I’m worried there might be something more sinister going on?

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
I think that makes total sense.
I guess I’m worried there might be something more sinister going on?
It’s funny you say that, at first they checked out something ‘more sinister’ before saying she was potentially anorexic but then decided it was just too exhausting to eat.

nic001

Sep 23, 2022
It’s funny you say that, at first they checked out something ‘more sinister’ before saying she was potentially anorexic but then decided it was just too exhausting to eat.
Oh I see. COPD really is so awful

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deirdra