Mum's first night in an EMI unit

Longdistantdaughter

Sep 10, 2023
To cut a long story short. I thought mum was doing OK in the residential/ emi home until the manager said mum's wondering was disturbing other residents ( she was otherwise sociable and fairly lucid).
Today I had to move her to an EMI unit where she clung on to me like a frightened rabbit for 4 hours, before I could tear myself away. Everyone seems so much more advanced than her!
Going back to spend some more time with her tomorrow before my long trek home.
Moving her nearer to me is not an option as she wants to stay near her sister....they are 85 and 86.
All advice welcome

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Longdistantdaughter and welcome to our supportive and friendly community. I am sorry to hear about your mum but it may be that the move will be best for her. She needs time to settle and transfer her dependency to the staff at the new home.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Longdistantdaughter

My mum was in an EMI home. It is a bit of a cultural shock when you first encounter them and takes some getting used to. Its a bit like when your child first starts school, or moves to secondary school and every other child seems so much older and bigger than yours. It wasnt long before I realised that mum fitted right in. It will take your mum a few weeks to settle there, but the staff will have more understanding of dementia and will know how to deal with the behaviour associated with the more advanced stages so she should not need to move again

Longdistantdaughter

Sep 10, 2023
Hi @Longdistantdaughter and welcome to our supportive and friendly community. I am sorry to hear about your mum but it may be that the move will be best for her. She needs time to settle and transfer her dependency to the staff at the new home.
Thank you
Hello @Longdistantdaughter

My mum was in an EMI home. It is a bit of a cultural shock when you first encounter them and takes some getting used to. Its a bit like when your child first starts school, or moves to secondary school and every other child seems so much older and bigger than yours. It wasnt long before I realised that mum fitted right in. It will take your mum a few weeks to settle there, but the staff will have more understanding of dementia and will know how to deal with the behaviour associated with the more advanced stages so she should not need to move again
Thank you.
Hopefully when I go back today there are a few residents that she can chat to.