Mum wants her 'boyfriend' to collect her to stay with him for a holiday.

TraceyK

Aug 20, 2021
Mum (92) has told her carer that she's excited because her male friend is going to come & collect her to go & stay with him for a holiday. This is quite alarming as she hasn't seen him for around 6 years, they keep in touch by phone. I think he probably doesn't know how physically frail she is, incontinent, reluctant to bathe, middle-stage alzheimers with paranoid delusions about my son. I've got no idea of how physically & mentally fit he is. Around 4 years ago she mentioned that he'd said he had forgotten how to use the microwave, so I think it's likely he's in failing health too. I feel sad for her because she is lonely, our relationship is strained although I see her several times a day & care for her. I don't know whether to ignore it & hope it's a wishful fantasy, or talk to her about it. I think she thinks of me as her mum, & if I try to talk her out of it, she may stubbornly dig her heels in. I did think about ringing him & gently explaining that it's a bad idea, but if he then tells mum, & is mentally unwell himself, I'll have the 2 of them to deal with. What do I do if he turns up on the doorstep? It's around 4 hour drive. She is secure in her annexe & he wouldn't be able to get in without me, she is too frail to get out independently. I could ask mum if she wants him to come & stay with her for a short break, but I don't want to, to be honest. I don't know him & am quite low in mood & resentful.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Oh Tracey! Bless you….my thoughts …..treat it as a wishful fantasy and 🙏🙏🙏🙏 that’s the case…go with this conversation so not to cause your mum distress…..if he does turn up ..take him into yours and call the police saying a vulnerable man has turned up and clearly needs help getting home …..

Dont suggest a holiday for him at hers….sounds like you would just end up with 2 old folk to look after and he may not be even able to make it himself with the travel etc ..

TraceyK

Aug 20, 2021
Oh Tracey! Bless you….my thoughts …..treat it as a wishful fantasy and 🙏🙏🙏🙏 that’s the case…go with this conversation so not to cause your mum distress…..if he does turn up ..take him into yours and call the police saying a vulnerable man has turned up and clearly needs help getting home …..

Dont suggest a holiday for him at hers….sounds like you would just end up with 2 old folk to look after and he may not be even able to make it himself with the travel etc ..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roid