Mum hears voices

longun1966

Sep 16, 2014
My mum hears voices and talks to them , sometimes they tell her bad things about us and sometimes they tell her that relatives want to harm her . She lives parallel lives with being normal and then lost in another world , it's been over 3 years now , she never goes out anymore and everyday is repeated with her fantasy imagination she thinks she is rich and owns houses and businesses .
If you challenge her she becomes upset and aggressive , so I quietly agree with her .
Can medication help her , she is 85 yrs old .
We love her but we don't know how or what to do .
Nursing home is out of the question

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
Hello Longan1966

You do not say whether or not your Mum has had a definitive diagnosis of dementia (unless I've missed it elsewhere, in which case apologies). If Mum has had a diagnosis I would suggest she perhaps needs a reassessment and you could ask her doctor to review her medication. If Mum has not had a diagnosis then I think, if persuaded, your Mum would benefit from a consultation with a doctor but I would put in writing first, your concerns regarding your Mum's behaviour. If she is not exhibiting this behaviour in front of the doctor it may be difficult to assess.

Do keep posting though as TP is an absolute mine of information, help and support.

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
My mum hears voices and talks to them , sometimes they tell her bad things about us and sometimes they tell her that relatives want to harm her . She lives parallel lives with being normal and then lost in another world , it's been over 3 years now , she never goes out anymore and everyday is repeated with her fantasy imagination she thinks she is rich and owns houses and businesses .
If you challenge her she becomes upset and aggressive , so I quietly agree with her .

Hi,
My Mum is 86 and has dementia she has hallucinations and hears voices. It started that they were nice people and she use to talk to her friends in the mirrors but recently it as all change and they are nasty ones now and keep telling her she has to leave and go home (she lives with me). I am waiting for reassessment hopefully for some meds to stop this at present Mum is not taking anything. It is such an awful disease isn't it. I usually go along with her and tell them off, but is really is tiring for them and for us. Best of Luck xxx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Until I read your post I had completely forgotten one of the stages my husband went through about two years ago. He didn't hear voices as far as I know but believed we had land and property all over the world. Each morning I wondered which country he would be in that day. It was very bizarre. However it has passed only to be replaced with other nonsense.

I am inclined to let things go which are not disturbing ( like the property thing) and try to find solutions for the problematic like the hallucinations and voices. I would be talking to her doctor.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London

Hi longun1966 my advice would be to get a review of your mum's medication as soon as you can.

My husband recently developed extreme paranoia believing that my son and I intended to kill him. The professionals wasted time in getting him reviewed despite several requests from me - the end result being that he has just had to spend two months in a hospital secure unit for assessment because he reached crisis point.

He has been home a few days now and is doing so much better, having now been started on an anti-depressant. It may well be that a similar review of your mum's medication will do the job and that it will be done before it reaches the stage my husband reached. Good luck :)