mum has been diagnosed with dementia and I’m 30

DaiLouise54

Jul 31, 2022
I lost my dad last December and my mum has had Parkinson since 2015. Her Parkinson symptoms got worse and dementia has started to affect her too. I feel it all quite overwhelming at the moment as I just don’t feel like I’m at a point in my life where I’m really on the right path for my own life let alone taking on my mums. It feels like having to chose on some level between my life and being there for her. It’s like going from having two parents supporting me to having none. It’s really hard seeing her disappear in this way and I’m just not sure how to best care for her when I don’t live in the same country or know anything about the symptoms or how they might evolve. Wondering if anyone is going through a similar thing as I feel it would be great to talk to someone in the same situation.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @DaiLouise54

Wherever you and your mum are there should be help for vulnerable adults, especially those who live alone.

I`m sure there are people here who have experienced similar situations to you but it's a bit late now and they might not respond tonight.

Meanwhile the links here may help you .

If either you or your mum do not live in this country please search care for vulnerable adults

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @DaiLouise54
A warm welcome to DTP

My condolences on the death of your dad ... what a time of it your family are having

It must be tough on you especially not being near your mum so trying to support her from a distance ... no wonder you feel torn and without support yourself .... You are young and have a right to live your own life, I'm not sure your mum would really wish you to set that aside

We have members from several countries, if you're able to mention yours and your mum's maybe someone will be familiar with the care services

fayelouise03

Aug 4, 2022
I lost my dad last December and my mum has had Parkinson since 2015. Her Parkinson symptoms got worse and dementia has started to affect her too. I feel it all quite overwhelming at the moment as I just don’t feel like I’m at a point in my life where I’m really on the right path for my own life let alone taking on my mums. It feels like having to chose on some level between my life and being there for her. It’s like going from having two parents supporting me to having none. It’s really hard seeing her disappear in this way and I’m just not sure how to best care for her when I don’t live in the same country or know anything about the symptoms or how they might evolve. Wondering if anyone is going through a similar thing as I feel it would be great to talk to someone in the same situation.
Hi @DaiLouise54

I've only just joined this forum, hoping for somebody to talk to. I am 29 and my mum has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers, age 56. I am pregnant with my 2nd baby at the moment and life is just feeling quite tough (but then I feel guilty, thinking I'm making it about me!). My dad is not involved in my life. I do have a wonderful stepdad who I am trying to support. I also have a 13 year old brother who lives with my mum and stepdad, and my heart breaks for him living with this at such a young age (even younger than us!) I try and talk to my friends, but I don't think they get it. I think they think well at least she is still here...but she's not really. I'm not sure at what point your mum is at, but my mum is quickly deteriorating. She can barely string a sentence together and often makes no sense, we are having to guess what she is saying a lot of the time. She forgets my little boy's name and more recently asked what COVID is as she keeps hearing it on the news :( She is losing the ability to do very simple things too.

Anyway, I thought it might be good to chat as we are so close in age I am sure we are feeling a lot of the same things.

Take care
Faye x