Mum and her washing machine

Lucelou6

Jul 18, 2023
My mum has a carer who comes in twice a day and we asked her if she wouldn’t mind putting mums wash on her machine as unfortunately mum no longer remembers how to use it, when mum does try she presses the wrong button and calls me stressing about it, then she knocks on her neighbours door asking for her help. Despite the carer’s willingness to help my mum keeps telling her she doesn’t want her touching the machine because she doesn’t know how to use it when we have shown the carer how it works and told mum to let her carer help with this, unfortunately 8 times out of 10 she doesn’t let her and then knocks on her neighbours door for help! I don’t know what else I can do to stop this behaviour it’s so frustrating! Has anyone else had this experience and found a solution?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @Lucelou6

Perhaps the carer could tell your mum that she has the same washing machine at home so know how it works - sometimes a white lie can be very helpful with dementia problems. I told my dad’s carers not to ask him what wanted doing but just do what was on the list I agreed with the the care agency otherwise he would’ve said “No thanks, my daughter will do it…” and I didn’t have enough hours in the day!

Lucelou6

Jul 18, 2023
Hello @Lucelou6

Perhaps the carer could tell your mum that she has the same washing machine at home so know how it works - sometimes a white lie can be very helpful with dementia problems. I told my dad’s carers not to ask him what wanted doing but just do what was on the list I agreed with the the care agency otherwise he would’ve said “No thanks, my daughter will do it…” and I didn’t have enough hours in the day!
Yes could try that

Lucelou6

Jul 18, 2023
Hello @Lucelou6

Yes good idea let’s hope this works