Mom won't shower

DaisyBloom

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma City
So Mom doesn't want to take a shower. She is still independent enough to take a shower on her own but she does forget when she last took a shower. So I will gently remind her that it is time to take a shower and she argues and makes jokes at me. She says she doesn't do anything that would cause her to need to wash up. Then she will ask why I'm telling her when to shower anyway and gives me a hard time. I'm frustrated with it. Any advice? 🙏

DaisyBloom

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma City
Yes it is so hard to know what is going on in her delicate mind. I have heard that people with dementia can develop fear of water. I do wonder if she would do better taking a bath now than a shower. She says she is fine taking a shower but I'm not sure. Thanks for your reply I so appreciate it! 🙏

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
If the shower head can be hand held and if there is a seat in the shower it may help @DaisyBloom Your mother might feel more in control of the water.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
This has been a constant with my Dad and still an issue now that he is a care home. If he doesn't want to shower everyday then fine by me as long as he doesn’t start to smell. He’s more open to a good flannel wash at the sink so sometimes he’ll do that himself and sometimes he’ll more readily accept help with that than a shower. That seems good enough as far as I’m concerned. That’s how many people did things when he was younger and so he seems to be more comfortable with that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jo Hefferman