Mmmm. Strange

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
MIL has more or less stopped heating up meals for herself. Except, yesterday she had 4 ready meals in the fridge, I got one out for her tea & can tell from todays bin that she had one for lunch. Checked the fridge-none left??? Re checked the bin, freezer, cupboards, wheelie bin, no sign.
Now she's either got an attack of the munchies or??? What where can they be?

I need to speak to the care agency, they used to come at 7am & 4 to 4.30pm which are brilliant times for MIL but they are coming much later now, which means they are not helping with meals. I think she is losing weight again.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
MIL has more or less stopped heating up meals for herself. Except, yesterday she had 4 ready meals in the fridge, I got one out for her tea & can tell from todays bin that she had one for lunch. Checked the fridge-none left??? Re checked the bin, freezer, cupboards, wheelie bin, no sign.
Now she's either got an attack of the munchies or??? What where can they be?

I need to speak to the care agency, they used to come at 7am & 4 to 4.30pm which are brilliant times for MIL but they are coming much later now, which means they are not helping with meals. I think she is losing weight again.

Do you think she's given them away, to the carer's maybe saying she's not going to eat them?

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
I would look in the places you would least expect to find them.
If shes gone off food she may of hid them so she doesn't have to eat them. I'd check wardrobes under the bed draws etc.

I do have one of them unanswered MMmmmmm strange things myself.

About a month before my dad went into hospital 2 very different 'spare' settee base cushions mysteriously appeared in my dads living room he was using them on top of his own cushion.
I asked dad and he reckoned they were the ones that belonged to his suite and had always been there. Should of guessed that one.:rolleyes:

Asked his 3 carers nope none of them.

Asked my brothers and sister nope none of them.

Asked my uncle nope him neither.

Where on earth did these 2 huge settee base cushions come from. Its the biggest mystery :confused:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I would definitely suspect that she has 'put them away', aka hidden them. I once found a very dried up ham sandwich, on a plate, in a drawer in my mother's bedroom on top of her knickers. (That came out as 'knockers' first time - that"s the iPad for you :D).

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
MIL doesn't have "carers" but we can't be far from that stage. Home help does washing up, cleaning, ironing etc.

We have frozen ready meals delivered to her freezer but she never uses them. I have despaired about how to get her to eat them.

During this hot summer I have chilled out a little, filling her fridge with what I call "picnic" foods which I think she enjoys grazing on. And they require no cooking.

Tomorrow she starts a luncheon club, where she is provided with a hot meal, she's being picked up by the taxi at 9.00am which she assures us she will be ready for :eek:

Usually when we ring her at 10.00am to remind her about her meds she is still in bed :eek:

CJW

Sep 22, 2013
Mum got beyond understanding what the fridge or freezer were for and would take food out and put it away in the oven or airing cupboard. She also put teabags in the toaster...a real fire hazard. The carers didnt notice and it was only by following the stench of rotting food that I found her strange storage places!

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks for your replies, I rather suspect she has hidden them somewhere but difficult to "root" for them when she is there.
SueJ, surely the carers wouldn't accept them would they?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Thanks for your replies, I rather suspect she has hidden them somewhere but difficult to "root" for them when she is there.
SueJ, surely the carers wouldn't accept them would they?

No lizzybean they shouldn't accept them but perhaps she gives them no choice pleading them to take them as she wont/can't eat them or thinks they are in need of food. As you say the best way is to ask them and explain the dilemma. Maybe they could record in her careplan and you could too what meals there are available, so that it becomes clearer what she is actually eating or 'losing or hiding'. Also maybe time to find alternatives for her that she can manage. If her appetite is really diminishing and or her ability to eat being faced with something really unmanageable will put her off food further. My friend's appetite has changed and I take her small different things, when I can, to try and hope that something suits her but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is just downward, appetite can improve. One day she can say its delicious and another it's the worst thing she's ever tasted:rolleyes: but such are the vagaries of this disease just have to plod on and try different things.
Hope you find a solution that works.
Best wishes
Sue

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
The reason (I think) that she is not eating the meals as regularly as she used to is the inability to understand the instructions rather than not having the appetite. She will eat anything that you put in front of her. When she was losing weight last year I started going 3 mornings a week to make porridge & toast for breakfast & coinciding my afternoon visit with tea time. I would encourage her to put a meal in or if she was not having a good day would do it for her.

She started having carers when she broke her shoulder. The times they were coming were great for her but they have changed them recently so I think she is back to a sandwich for lunch & tea. I shall ring the agency today & see if they can't come at better times.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
The reason (I think) that she is not eating the meals as regularly as she used to is the inability to understand the instructions rather than not having the appetite. She will eat anything that you put in front of her. When she was losing weight last year I started going 3 mornings a week to make porridge & toast for breakfast & coinciding my afternoon visit with tea time. I would encourage her to put a meal in or if she was not having a good day would do it for her.

She started having carers when she broke her shoulder. The times they were coming were great for her but they have changed them recently so I think she is back to a sandwich for lunch & tea. I shall ring the agency today & see if they can't come at better times.

In my bad phases I can't cook or make sense of what to do either and if I was like it all the time I would want to get rid of it as it would make me more confused. Sounds like it they do meals for her she will be better all around and you wont have to worry so much either.:)