Mild cognative impairment - is there any support out there for this?

Rafiki83

May 15, 2017
Hi there - my mum has been showing signs of memory loss for some time and after months the memory clinic have come back and said she has mild cognative impairment and then discarded her to be left to her own devices and essentially saying come back when it gets worse but no support for either her or those who are trying to help her. Just get on with it they said, do a crossword or two and google what will help. Call us if it gets worse (with no guidance on what constitutes worse) but in the meantime you are on your own. This just seems really unsupportive to me, but is that just how it is? Is there any support out there for those with mild cognitive impairment? Ideally would be great if she could meet people in a similar boat who she could talk to. She has support of friends and family but feels very lonely and depressed about the whole thing and I think talking to those locally who are in a similar boat might help. She is based in sw London.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It's a bit of a postcode lottery really, I think (where I live) there is a lot out there in the way of; drop in centres, dementia cafes, AGEUK centre as well as regular meetings and courses that they e-mail me about.
My impression is that London works borough by borough and it's all very territorial so LA things may vary but the none government things are more flexible.
There's a link below to the AGEUK directory for London.
K

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/london/local-directory/

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi Rafiki,welcome to Talking Point, hoping you do get some support for your mum,keep posting here if you have any concerns,always someone around to lend an ear.
Take care
Chris

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
When Mum was at the MCI stage (and also suffering from depression), she was encouraged to join a lunch club. Admittedly that was a few years ago and resources have dwindled since.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I agree there is little support out there but I have tried to get involved in things as much as I can.
I have gone to Memory cafes but now in Northampton have lost the funding for them.
I have started a reminiscence group
I joined a book club and a creative writing group, I am honest with people about how I am and they mostly understand.
I do lots of brain and word games and I am writing a book
I know everyone is different but I guess its a case of using strengths your mum has

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
Is there a local Singing for the Brain/Mind group? Great fun in itself but also a good way to meet up with other pwd and their carers.
And an exercise group for older people will help to keep her body and mind working.

The main thing is to keep her stimulated and socially connected, so any groups or clubs are good. They don't have to be specifically for pwd, though depending on how bad she is, you may want to have a private word with people so that they are understanding if she forgets something or is confused. If she gets used to going to a lunch club or similar it may also help her to accept going to a day centre if she needs it at a later stage.

On a practical front, has she got her will up to date and POAs sorted? Are any glasses and hearing aids of the correct prescription? She doesn't need the additional problems of not seeing or hearing as well as she possibly can.

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
Hello Rafiki83,

We're also in SW London and the receptionist at hubby's GP pointed to me to their weekly drop-in centre for patients and carers.

Otherwise the Alzheimer's helpline is 0300 222 1122 ...... a mine of information.

Wishing you well x

MAGOO

Jun 23, 2017
Heywood
Hi there - my mum has been showing signs of memory loss for some time and after months the memory clinic have come back and said she has mild cognative impairment and then discarded her to be left to her own devices and essentially saying come back when it gets worse but no support for either her or those who are trying to help her. Just get on with it they said, do a crossword or two and google what will help. Call us if it gets worse (with no guidance on what constitutes worse) but in the meantime you are on your own. This just seems really unsupportive to me, but is that just how it is? Is there any support out there for those with mild cognitive impairment? Ideally would be great if she could meet people in a similar boat who she could talk to. She has support of friends and family but feels very lonely and depressed about the whole thing and I think talking to those locally who are in a similar boat might help. She is based in sw London.

Hi Rafiki83
My mum has also been diagnosed with MCI recently, The memory clinic dismissed what we thought was vascular dementia and told us to come back in 12 months, when my wife voiced concerns to the consultant, he changed the referral to 6 months. not sure if this was something to do with cost cutting within the NHS Mental Health teams
I have not found any outside support groups out there apart from this forum either so this is now my base for asking questions
My mum has been told to alter her lifestyle, get fit, go the gym, limit alcohol, eat plenty of fish etc (she's 74 and her and my dad (77) are very much set in their ways)

Stay strong for your mum and i hope she is doing ok
thanks
Magoo

sue_1

Mar 29, 2017
Bristol
My mum was also diagnosed with mci just over a year ago and I can not find any help anywhere. Last week memory team came out to retest mum as I think things have dramatically changed had to see dr first for another referral but have the feeling mum will still be diagnosed with mci as she seemed to do well with all questions she was asked. Mum is now going to a day centre once a week which in my option does her good ( and me lol ) which is self funding as she will not join any other clubs. I have found this forum so so helpful, I have read many posts going way back and often I think I could have written them, I don't feel so alone now.

MAGOO

Jun 23, 2017
Heywood
Agreed Sue, it's good to talk on this forum, I too don't feel so alone now seeing what others are going through
I hope you have the same level of family support that I have, my other half has been brilliant with my mum and also helping my dad cope with things

MAGOO

Jun 23, 2017
Heywood
thinking in advance before forgetting

I called my dad on Friday last week to ask if mum was ok with her MCI and whilst I was talking to him, my mum shouted out "happy birthday"
My birthday isn't until this week
is it bad that she is acknowledging things before they happen or before she forgets?

sue_1

Mar 29, 2017
Bristol
I think it is good that your mum is thinking of your birthday, when it was my birthday mum forgot and even having cards on display I never even got a happy birthday:( I have some support from my daughter and hubby but mum will not speak to them if I am around and my six sisters do not phone or visit anymore basically have said that there glad they don't have to deal with mum, mum asked for my friends, daughters and grandchildren not to come round our house as its to much for her, at the time I sort of understood but now I realise I am isolated two of my daughters will visit now and again but never see the grandchildren any more as I can't leave mum on her own. Just wish I knew more of mci to know if what's happening is normal ( whatever normal is )

MAGOO

Jun 23, 2017
Heywood
It all sounds like your mum is going through the same thought process as mine, I am an only one so I can only look to my wife and two lads (19 and 16) for support and they understand and have helped me and my dad
My mum is ok if she is in her normal routine, I.e shopping on a Tuesday and going to their local club on a Saturday and Sunday to play bingo etc
We had a party at the mother in laws last year and it was a hot sunny day and mum was convinced she was in Spain on holiday and started to cry when we told her she wasn't. She couldn't comprehend where she was which worries me when she goes out to the market/ shops without dad.
I think my dad feels that he is to blame for mums condition as he has really made all the decisions in their married life but he's only done this out of a sense of love and care for mum
please try to be patient with your mum as I am with mine and if what she is thinking or saying is wrong but has no great baring on everyday life then sometimes it is easier to agree and go along with what they are saying
I am not sure if MCI / Alzeimers is hereditary as 2 of my mums brothers have suffered too as I think did their mum too
stay strong Sue and best wishes to you and your mum, she would never have meant to forget your birthday I am sure