Mams not eating

Cat lover?

Sep 4, 2020
Hi all, I'm new today to this wonderful place! Just thought I'd join in and ask your invaluable advice,Mam is 85 and has had alzheimers just over a year,we(family)support her at home with carers 4 x daily and she was doing ok until she was discharged from hospital after 10 dsys she'd had 3 falls in 24 hours,but since getting home,has quickly deteriorated,she has no appetite at all and now drinks very little,wecan see the weight dropping off her,I try to tempr her with nice things,she used to love but she's just not interested,she has lots of health problems on top of this awful disease too,diabetic,heart trouble,very little mobility & a permanent catheter, having lits of toilet "accidents" too,she still recognises us all,thankfully,Just needed to ask if anyone out there has similar problems with lived one not eating? I'm really very worried, gp has prescribed supplement drinks but Mam has a sip and leaves it........past myself with worry, thanks and love to all xx?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @cat lover. I hope you find it friendly, helpful and supportive.

It sounds as if your mother has been through a few ordeals with her falls, her hospital stay and all her other conditions, her body might be in shock.

Fluids are the most important for her just now and if you can get some fluids which are also nourishing it might help her recovery.

The supplement drinks are good and if your mother can be persuaded to take just a few sips little and often they should help.

A suggestion which has been tried and tested by others on the forum is milk jelly, made with the addition of either yoghurt or evaporated milk might be accepted by your mother. Choose her favourite flavour. If she likes it you could add some soft summer fruits like raspberries.

The jelly will provide the fluid she needs so much.

I hope this helps.

Cat lover?

Sep 4, 2020
I think it might be a good idea to get her GP to check her over in case there is something new here.
Thank you both for swift reply! That milk jelly sounds good, I will try it, and yes, canary, Mams gp ringing me again Wed next week to see if her stopping her iron tablets have helped her diarrhoea & "accidents" so will ask her advice again, she's terribly anaemic too so really needs the iron! It's such a difficult one to balance all her needs correctly, but as I know ,we all are, on this forum, very dedicated and inly want what's best for our loved one, thanks again and keep up the fight, stay strong and keep hope at top of our list, xxx Pat, cat lover