Looking for advice, support, or anything else that can be offered

RB85

Mar 18, 2020
Hello all,

I am known to lurk on this forum reading and sympathising with others posts, but this is the first post of my own.

Summary of the situation:

My 81 year old dad is suffering from dementia (primary progressive aphasia to be precise) and, having had me relatively late in life, I am a 34 year old male. My wife is 29 years old. We have no children at this point in time, but are in the process trying. We are both relatively early on in our careers and pushing to grow ourselves and have the usual mortgage, bills, cars etc. to contend with and while not living on a knife edge, are not swimming in disposable income.

My parents have been divorced for 20 years and I left home (living with my dad at the time) when I was 18. We have remained in touch over the years as much as most men typically do, but the relationship has always remained pleasant. At present dad lives 5 hours away when traffic is good, and up to 7 hours away with traffic. A round trip therefore takes in the region of 10 - 14 hours without a stop. With very taxing work demands and commitments, it is not so easy or possible to make the trip as often as I would like.

We learnt of dad's condition approximately 18 months ago, when the symptoms were very mild. In fact I would never have suspected dementia and put what I now know were the very early signs down to aging in general. Initially we tried to get him to relocate closer to us as the opposite was not an option due to him living in a remote and job-lacking area, but this never happened as he didn't want to leave 'home' and his partner at the time.

I say this in the politest way possible in order to paint an accurate picture, but all of my life I have known him to be an extremely fiery, volatile, stubborn and proud man. Of course there are many good things I can say around this and he was a good father to me, but this is the best way I can sum up his temperament.

He has/had a long term partner who he met a couple of years before the diagnosis, and is still somewhat active as more of a care provider than partner now. However, she is a 75 year old lady who is now concerned with her own health and is trying to back off as a result.

While the symptoms started off quite mild, his condition has deteriorated significantly to a point where it is no longer possible to hold even the most simple of conversations with him and he cannot he cannot comprehend very basic information. He has stripped his house bare of all possessions, and goes through a daily cycle of packing and unpacking his belonging. I am not sure if this is boredom, confusion, or some kind of OCD behavior. He cannot watch or understand the television as it makes him very frustrated and angry by the people on the screen "talking cr@p" all day every day, how they talk to him and mock him, and craw out of the TV and attack him. All of his many other interests have left him and he seems to have no motivation or interest in anything at all, including food. He is in a constant state of anxiety, paranoia and anger, and is obsessed with the random men and children that are living in his bedroom and garden. He cannot recognize his own reflection and punches every window or mirror he says as the reflection makes him angry. He has made many suicidal threats, but never follows through on them. I could go on, but I suspect you get the idea.

We attempted to move him into our home in order to provide care and he seemed very motivated to do so, but approximately 30 minutes away from his home his whole demeanor changed and he clammed up. He obviously had no prior comprehension as to how far away we lived until we were on the journey, and it was obvious he was regretting his decision. 5 hours later and the moment we pulled onto our drive, he stated he wanted to go home. We made light of the situation and, as it was a long weekend, tried to keep him with us as long as possible and do the things he would normally like to do - go to the local markets, garden centers, country walks etc., but he insisted he needed to go home and became very frantic about it. He would leave the house on his own if we didnt watch him 24/7, lock himself in the car, threaten us etc., until it reached the point that I had to take extra holiday from work and drive him home for his own safety. After driving nearly 14 hours in one day and getting back home, I rang to say I was home and he said he wanted to come stay again.

I have battled with the local social services and the mental health teams for months, but my experience is that support is severely lacking to non-existent. At one point the mental health doctor administered Mementine in order to help with his condition, and for a while this seemed to work well. He calmed, I heard him laughing for the first time in months, and it was possible to hold basic conversations. This was by no means a cure, but it helped manage his daily frustrations and battles. At this point I was visiting as often as I can and he was getting support from his live out partner multiple times a week, but no other social care was in place. I would call him 3 times a day to check he was ok and chat with him as much as possible.

However, for reasons unknown he became very suspicious of and refused to stop taking his medication and things not only reverted to how they were, but declined much further. He no longer understands how to use the telephone and so I cannot communicate with him at all, he is constantly anxious, paranoid, agitated and full of anger. He is in what I would deem to be a very vulnerable position, although he is completely oblivious that there is anything wrong with him or that he is even a pensioner. He thinks and talks like he is a young man in the prime of his life again and the rest of the world are 'idiots'. I have raised the topic of sheltered accommodation or care homes on many occasions, painting how wonderful they will be for him as he will be surrounded by lots of friends every day, but there is no chance in hell he will go into an 'old fogey home'

After some stern words with social services, only today has some kind of care started for him, whereby a support worker will be visiting twice a day, 7 days a week to check he is ok and help where needed. This I thought was a win, but I am now not sure its still the right approach as he is leaving the house with suitcases and others who know him in the area are realising he is vulnerable and riving him home. With the current Corona virus situation and the advice for over 70s to self isolate, his (ex) partner is completely backing off, which she has been trying to do for a while, but this is the opportunity to do so. My dad is therefore deciding to walk 45 minutes at night and in heavy rain to her house for reasons unknown, all while having an obliterated knee and ankle and refusing to use any kind of walking aids.

Continued in comments...

RB85

Mar 18, 2020
I have always been my dad's 'ally' throughout this and he has trusted and confided in me over anyone when it has come to his health, finances etc., but he has now turned on me. I have lost track of the amount of abuse and horrendous comments he has thrown at me, which I take on the chin, but during my last visit to him it resulted in a physical attack. I do not normally stay at his home when I visit as he has never liked guests or staying with others, but this time I decided to stay the night in the spare room. Aside from the fact he was up all night and entering my room, switching on lights and rummaging through draws/cupboards as I try to sleep, when I tried to raise the topic of him moving in with us again the following morning, he turned very aggressive and violent simply because I was suggesting we try him to stay with us again and he couldn't understand the concept. I had to leave the house and return home to diffuse the situation.

I have tried to do everything I can do help my dad out and keep him safe and happy, but I am really at a loss what to do. My dad's ( (ex) partner's family regularly guilt trip me that I am not doing anything to take care of my dad, their mum is suffering etc., and I don't really blame them. She has been a tremendous help, whether she wanted to be or not. However, I genuinely think I am and have done all I can do to help from the other side of the UK, without absolutely ruining my life in the process.

I seem to be expected to have all of the answers and the solutions as to what to do, but I have no clue anymore. It is affecting my health and well being as well as my work, marriage, and other family relationships. Even in the extremely unlikely event where I could get my father to move in with me and he settles, I fear for his safety being left alone all day whilst my wife and I are at work, and I fear for my wife's safety as the constant aggression is worrying. I am the main bread winner, but I cannot expect my wife to give up her life and career at such an early stage of life to become a full time stay at home carer for my father, who she has only met a handful of times.

I have weighed up the possibility of quitting my job and moving hundreds of miles away from my home and wife to take care of my dad, but then I will likely lose my house, cars, marriage etc.

This has almost certainly turned into an incoherent babbling mess and so I should probably stop now. I guess to summarise I am looking for words of wisdom, advice, or suggestions from people who are or have been through similar situations, or even reassurance that I am not the terrible son I am being made to feel I am.

For what it's worth, I am the youngest of 5 kids. The oldest 3 are in their 60s but offer no assistance due to previous relationship issues and resentment. The second youngest is 37 and, although does not work due to fortunate financial circumstances, refuses to offer any help or support. As the youngest and perhaps in the most complicated situation, I am quite literally dealing with everything myself.

Thanks for listening to me.

R

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I don't really know that to say RB85, except welcome to the forums and from what you write I think you've tried to do what you can, so should not beat yourself up. Extra supported accommodation is the best step, but if your dad won't accept it then it gets complicated. Others with more experience will be around, but the helpline is available if you want some expert advice.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline will give you times and the phone number.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Wow, just - wow!
That is far to much for you to sort out on your own , even if you were living with him - its going to need professional help (even if he doesnt think so). It sounds to me like not only does he not recognise his own reflection, but he no longer recognises his own home (I think hes probably packing to go home and going out at night looking for it) and probably no longer recognises you either (hence he has turned on you).

Contact Social Services safeguarding - maybe by email and then followed up by phone - explaining everything that you have told us about here. use the words that he is "a vulnerable person with dementia who is at risk of harm". They may try and get you to agree to share his care, but remind them of how far away you live, and say that you are unable to do anything and that they have a "duty of care".

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @RB85 , I can say no more than to reiterate what the others have said, there is no way you can do anymore than you are and you also can’t deal with this , he needs much more help than one person can provide , maybe a picture will build up and having the support worker log things that more help will be forthcoming quickly but I would definitely be ringing social services and stressing that as canary said he is a vulnerable adult at risk , the onus is on them to keep him safe not you ,they have a duty of care . While they think you are providing even a little help and support they will do very little . My mum lives with me and she packs and unpacks most days if I didn’t distract her . Memantine in my opinion is really very effective and when mum stopped it she had a very big downturn , it was soon reinstated. Hopefully the support worker can get him to cooperate and take it .

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
I think you’ve done everything possible for your Dad and his condition suggests that moving him into your own home would be an absolute disaster. Social services would probably to even less and you’d be left trying to manage and ruining your own life in the process. I think you need to look for residential care as he sounds like he’s too unsafe to be left.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
What a worry for you. You must remember you are entitled to a life too.
Have you asked about liquid Mementine? My OH is on it because he can't take tablets when he as an infection (which he is currently suffering one a month). You just add it to a little water. I know not all drs are happy to supply it as it is expensive.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
So let’s pretend that in 18 months time you have a baby in the house. Not saying will but just planning for every eventuality.
would you consider the baby to be safe if he was living with you?
i have such respect for your desire to help, but sometimes we have to admit our limitations!

RB85

Mar 18, 2020
Thank you all for the words of support thus far. It's amazing how complete strangers have the ability to lighten the mental burden via a couple of messages.

I will certainly be following the suggestions provided and look in to the liquid Mementine option, but I think the biggest thing I've taken away from the replies is that my gut decision to continue to enhance his current situation rather than attempt to move him into my home is the best option. At least I can rest easy that such a decision is not being made from a selfish and biased point of view, which is what has been eating me up inside.

RB85

Mar 18, 2020
So 15 minutes after after my previous post I receive a call from the care giver on what is the first full day of care. He has entered dads house this morning only to struggle to breath as the gas hob has been left on for so long that it has filled the house with gas. If he was struggling to breathe after just entered, god knows how this has affected dad.

He is still with him and is venting the gas via all possible doors and windows, but suspects it will take a while to clear. He has of course informed me immediately and I am working to have someone to permanently disable the gas supply, but he has also informed the community mental health team who are currently engaged to help dad. The care givers opinion, as is mine, is that he is extremely vulnerable and needs the appropriate care.

I've spoken to the mental health teams and they echo that the gas should be isolated, but I hope they do not see this as the solution. This is just one of many varying instances and I really hope this will wake them up as to what is going on.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Should the Community Mental Health Team, mention "Sectioning" for him, do not be alarmed, it will be the best thing for him.
Sectioning, allows the team to be able to ensure his safety, by placing him into a secure environment, and accessing his true needs, as opposed to his "wants". Whilst getting his medication correct.
The situation has now gone beyond, what you can cope with.

Bod

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I agree with @Bod . My dad was sectioned for his own safety and it was the best thing that could have happened in the circumstances. At the moment I think it’s unlikely that they’ll take that step with your father. SS like to keep people at home until it’s proved to be unsafe to do so. Unfortunately they probably will see turning off the gas as a solution. How is your dad now?

I know it’s difficult to get anyone into full time care unless they can pay for themselves but the gas incident risked not only your dad’s life but the lives of his neighbours and I really hope it makes those with the power take the right steps and get your dad the care he needs to stay safe and well.

I know what it’s like to be left to sort everything out as my siblings left everything to me. Do not feel guilty - you’re doing the best you can.

RB85

Mar 18, 2020
Thanks Bod and Bunpoots. I admit the sound of sectioning sounds scary, but from what you say it sounds quite a positive process and, I never thought I would say this, something I am now pushing for.

However, Bunpoots has hit the nail on the head. Disconnecting the gas was the solution and the current stance is that now care is in place, any future risks will hopefully be addressed and he can remain in his home. They need to see how care goes before changing anything.

As he has next to nothing remaining to his name, self-funding is unfortunately out of the question. I will just have to see how things go and potentially wait for the next crisis to happen. Hopefully one that is not so dangerous to so many!

Thanks again.