Looking after the main carer

Kookybumblebee

Hi

My mum's alzheimers has progressed very quickly in the last few months. Every evening she gets caught in a loop of wanting to go home. If we are visiting at this time we can take her for numerous walks or follow her but poor dad cannot walk far and has to keep the doors locked which then leads her to become very aggressive. This can sometimes last for hours into the night and dad is now very sleep deprived. He is adamant that mum must stay at home for as long as possible and we would like to support him with this decision. I am looking at the possibility of finding a centre she can go to for a few hours a week to enable dad to just relax and read the newspaper. Also looking to find someone to come in most evenings just for an hour - sometimes a different face can change the situation. Any ideas?

Beate

Have you contacted Social Services? They should carry out a needs and carers assessment and help with finding a day care centre and carers or sitters.

Kookybumblebee

Have you contacted Social Services? They should carry out a needs and carers assessment and help with finding a day care centre and carers or sitters.
Thanks Beate, I will have to locate all the paperwork - trouble with siblings, things go to different houses.