Lockdown

Beth24

Oct 6, 2019
Why were Care Homes not locked down to accepting new residents? Surely this places residents and carers at risk.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The government are actively requesting that care homes take in new residents as they want to ensure that hospital 'bed blockers' are placed in homes as soon as possible to free up the beds for those who need them. The government has said that it is 'safe' to take in those who have either had coronavirus or may have it providing the homes follow the instructions with regards to safety - isolate these residents, use ppe etc. Understandably some care homes are resisting this, and there was a care home manager on TV yesterday raising this issue, stating that although they want to do their bit to help out they will not take someone in unless they have tested negative for the virus. The lack of ppe and testing in care homes is placing residents and carers at risk but whether this situation will change anytime soon remains to be seen. My mum's in a care home and I share your concerns.

Last edited:

Beth24

Oct 6, 2019
The care home told me I couldn't visit five weeks ago for the safety of the residents so how can taking new residents be safe for them and why were we not notified that this was the policy?

Beth24

Oct 6, 2019
The care home told me I couldn't visit five weeks ago for the safety of the residents so how can taking new residents be safe for them and why were we not notified that this was the policy?
I have other friends who are carers and they too were unaware that it was policy

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I'm not sure that it's 'policy' as such, more guidance. I can't post a link at the moment but you can see the details if you search for 'Covid-19: Admission and care of people in care homes' - it's on the government website. I see that there's been an update announced this morning with regards care home testing, and a statement that those going into care homes from hospital will be tested. The daily government briefing this afternoon will also be focusing on social care, delivered by Matt Hancock, so further changes may be announced.

Beth24

Oct 6, 2019
I'm not sure that it's 'policy' as such, more guidance. I can't post a link at the moment but you can see the details if you search for 'Covid-19: Admission and care of people in care homes' - it's on the government website. I see that there's been an update announced this morning with regards care home testing, and a statement that those going into care homes from hospital will be tested. The daily government briefing this afternoon will also be focusing on social care, delivered by Matt Hancock, so further changes may be announced.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
You only have to read here on TP about dementia sufferers who have needed admission to residential care in the last couple of weeks. If they had been refused places where do you expect them to have gone?

Beth24

Oct 6, 2019
You only have to read here on TP about dementia sufferers who have needed admission to residential care in the last couple of weeks. If they had been refused places where do you expect them to have gone?
If temporary hospitals can be organized at speed why not temporary care homes in all the vacant hotels which are standing empty. If care homes arent able to isolate residents with covid then it will quickly go through the home. I am not saying dont give elderly care home places but manage where they are placed.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hotels are not geared up for dementia residents and it would not be safe to use them. All sorts of adaptations would have to be installed which would be totally impractical and Im sure the hotel owners would not be happy.

There is no simple answer to this.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My mum is a bed blocker waiting discharge from hospital to a care home - she needs more care now than we can provide at home especially with her habit of going to the local shop several times a day! The hospital have said that she will be tested for Covid 19 before she leaves. They don't appear very bothered about getting rid of her though, no mention of it when I phone the ward, they just say how happy mum is and how much they enjoy having her! I suspect she is more feisty and mobile than some of the other patients and does not need any nursing care so is not really a problem.

When she does get a place, we won't have any choice where it is and won't be able to visit, which is a bit of a worry to me.