Live In Carer & Explaining Spouse is Terminally Ill

OnPoint

Sep 3, 2020
Hi All
I am new to this group.
My dad has done an amazing job as carer for my mum who is in the middle stages of dementia. He is now terminally ill. Mum has simply not grasped the gravity of the situation. Any advice on how to explain it to her in the kindest way possible that can be repeated as necessary would be appreciated.
Also does anybody have experience of a live-in carer for somebody in the mid stages? My sister and I are desperate to keep mum and her beloved dog together after we have lost dad.
Thank you very much

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
@OnPoint - This is a very difficult situation. I don't think you mother would fully understand the seriousness of your father's illness and if she did momentarily it would probably upset her greatly and then she would forget. Those with dementia are unable to comprehend the predicament of their carers in any case - it is the illness itself which prevents them having this insight, not cold-heartedness.

I think it best for you to arrange to get alternative care in place to help your father and introduce this gradually, perhaps just saying your father needs a bit of help. I am afraid live-in care is very expensive but you can ask the local Social Services Adult services for an assessment and you may be able to get carers for certain times of the day depending on your mother's needs. There will be a financial assessment to determine your mother's contribution to her care. You can also hire carers yourself.

Has your father had his own care needs assessed and is he having any help with his illness?

OnPoint

Sep 3, 2020
Hi Nita
Thanks for your kind and thoughtful response. I have been through financial information with dad's permission. My sister and I both have LPA and will work jointly to look after both of them and manage mum's finances responsibly when dad has passed. We will need to pay for mum's care and know live-in care is expensive but consider it the best option for her. Otherwise she will lose dad, her dog and her home all at once. My sister and I have young children who mum finds it stressful to be around which we understand: noise, chattering, running about must be bewildering for her and it's not her fault.

Mum needs 24-hour care due to wandering about in the night (disoriented on way back from loo), no sense of direction so would get lost going to local shop on her own, sleeps a lot in day, needs help getting meals etc

Dad is in hospital. We will ensure he has a care plan in place if he makes it home. We know which forms we need and hope Marie Currie nurses can be with him. My sister and I are taking turns to stay with mum so she is safe but can't sustain this for long. We both have managerial jobs and families who need us.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
My mum died suddenly, we found her when we arrived for her birthday lunch. From that day dad in moderate stage could not be left alone as he was a night time pacer and wanderer. I moved in for 10 mths weekdays and sister covered weekends. My children are adults. 9 months in to 24 hr care for dad, husband was diagnosed with leukaemia. Dad had declined dramatically after mum died probably in part due to the trauma of the circumstances which he mostly couldn't make sense of but at the time had fluctuating clarity, a rollercoaster of emotions for him and us.
So with the need to support husband I arranged live in care, tried 2 agencies but for us it didn't work. Regardless of being assured by the agencies the carers had good dementia expertise it was clear neither had a good understanding and dad was too vulnerable by then, we were desperate for it to work to keep dad in his home but when the second carer gave me grave cause for concern I stepped back in and with hufe sadness had to find a good dementia care home so dad could have 24 hour care expertise. As dad was a night time pacer it required 2 carers at night so the live in carer could sleep and I was having to cover 2 hours each day for the carer to have time off, they did Mon to Fri live in and I continued to cover weekends. This was 6 years ago and the 5 day/night cost then was £1500 pw, more than his nursing home where he was for 4 years until he died. Household bills and carer food etc still has to be paid for on top of that. Live in care probably does work for some but not for us unfortunately. Some live in agencies/carers won't handle challenging behaviours as can happen when the illness progresses.

As far as telling your mum the extent of your dad's illness I would if me tend to take your lead from your mum...does she ask where your dad is? If not, which is possible if she is in mid stage, leave it until she does then be fairly vague ie he is a bit unwell at the moment and is being looked after for a while. If she questions it and seems to have more clarity you can expand on the explanation if she doesn't the illness isn't allowing her to register the situation and doubtless she will not understand or remember. At the time of mum's death dad went from fleeting moments of clarity and tears to saying things like 'I feel sorry for whoever is in that box'...at the funeral seeing her coffin not remembering it was his wife, our mum! After a couple of weeks it was clear we needed to change tack and we said we thought mum was shopping and would be back soon...his decline by then was that he didn't understand she had died.
Wishing you all the best trying to juggle parental care with jobs and young children is a no win situation and both your parents would probably say in different circumstances you must put your family first. I had to stop work to look after dad which was ok for me but just the 10 months and sleep deprivation took their toll.

OnPoint

Sep 3, 2020
@love.dad.but.. thank you so much for taking the time to write such a helpful and insightful post. I'm so sorry to learn of the sudden loss of your mum and the impact on your family. Heart-rending. My apologies I am just responding now I have been looking after mum and my 5-year old plus 5 family dogs the last couple of days (I'm a widow).
The live-in care is astronomical

OnPoint

Sep 3, 2020
Sorry the system froze on me. To resume: there is a lot to think about. My sister and I have agreed to look into all options.
Thank you also for suggesting the way to handle the loss of dad with mum. It's not going to be an easy road but we have to find the way forwards.
Many thanks again for sharing your experiences