Lightwriter - Alzheimers, Primary Progressive Aphasia and Dyspraxia

greatmeadow

Aug 22, 2013
Worcester
Hi everyone

New to the forum, and it has been well recommended to me.

My wife (57 yrs) was diagnosed last year with Alzheimers, Primary Progressive Aphasia and Dyspraxia, and over recent months has been deteriorating. There will no doubt be a number of questions I raise, but there is one particular area I'd be very grateful for any thoughts on.

The PPA has now got to the point where my wife is almost entirely unable to make herself understood, despite the fact that she is still fully in tune with everything. I think it is this that worries me most at the moment, although she is beginning to display more symptoms of Alz than previously - paranoia, swallowing, restlessness, reduced inhibition etc. Our speech therapist is being very helpful, and is looking to find a coomunication device called a "lightwriter" for her. This is effectively a keyboard with display and which speaks words and phrases for her.

The sales manager for the company who produce them is coming to see us in early September and has kindly agreed to loan one to us to see if she can work with one. I wondered if anyone else had personal experience of one, and if so how successful this may have been. The equipment is believed to be in the region of £4500, and whilst I am more than willing to pay if it helps her to any degree it is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. The therapist however, is convinced that we should be able to find funding sources out there, so I would really appreciate anyone who may have sought funding or grants from anywhere, successful or otherwise, and who may be able to offer me any advice.

Thanks and look forward to building some relationships on here.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Greatmeadow
Welcome to TP

I am sorry to hear about your wife.

I am afraid I have not heard of Lightwriters, so I had a little search and came up with this

http://www.speechbubble.org.uk/device/lightwriter-sl40/

There are quite a few different types, so I dont know if this is the one the therapist meant

Also I am not sure if the site I gave you a link for, is based in uk but or not but right near the bottom where it says warranty, it mentioned a free loan service is available, that may be worth looking into, not only that company but others too

I am wondering if the occupational therapist dept could help you, they do provide equipment, but possibly not Lightwriters as they are somewhat expencive

We do have others on here where the person has/had understanding but little or no speech , hopefully some will be along soon,

Last edited:

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I know my friend had something similar to what you describe it was loaned to them through the Motor Neurone Association, as she had MND. Perhap they could loan you one too???

Look up your local branch

Jeannette