life expectansie

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
I have just read this .Each person will experience dementia differently. On average, people with vascular dementia live for around five years after symptoms begin, less than the average for Alzheimer's disease. In many cases, the person's death will be caused by a stroke or heart attack. For more information see factsheet 402, What is vascular dementia?

does this mean people have strokes or heart attacks befor the end of life.i don't one to upset anyone but this is the first time I have read this

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There's a link below to the fact sheet about vascular dementia but basically (I think) that as it says "Vascular dementia is a decline in thinking skills caused by conditions that block or reduce blood flow to the brain" then why be surprised that people with a vascular disease in the brain may get other vascular related diseases like a heart attack or a stroke both of which (generally speaking) are caused by an issue with the blood supply.
That's a massive over simplification but all the conditions are related to blood and blood vessel issues so I guess having one makes another more likely.
As for an average that's all it is, an average it tells you nothing about the age of diagnosis, the medication and care given or the circumstances they live in.
I guess you mean by "strokes or heart attacks before the end of life" well you don't have them after you've died;) but that said is it likely to be a bigger risk of the final cause of death, yes probably, they're all blood supply/vessel related conditions.
K

http://www.alz.org/dementia/vascular-dementia-symptoms.asp

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Life expectancy

I have just read this .Each person will experience dementia differently. On average, people with vascular dementia live for around five years after symptoms begin, less than the average for Alzheimer's disease. In many cases, the person's death will be caused by a stroke or heart attack. For more information see factsheet 402, What is vascular dementia?

does this mean people have strokes or heart attacks befor the end of life.i don't one to upset anyone but this is the first time I have read this

Hello Vannesser. My husband was diagnosed with vascular dementia 9 years ago.For about 6 years it was not too bad to live with, and we managed to do most things. But then things started to deteriorate to where we are now and life has been very difficult for the last 2 or 3 years. So in answer to your question, how long the the dementia journey takes varies so much that it isn't really possible to know. My husband is otherwise quite strong and healthy although I would say, the last few months, he looks unwell and his legs aren't so strong.xxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello vanesser, my husband has Vascular dementia and Alzheimers for 10yrs + Dr told me he was high risk for a stroke or heart attack, his father died age 73 of a stroke.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Hello vannesser

I think the important word to take into account is 'average'. This is what you might expect to be a typical life expectancy for someone with VasD but in reality, it could be in one year or in nine years time...or anything in between.

So I wouldn't set too much store by that information or make too many plans because of it ...you will just have to wait and see how things pan out.

My mum had Alzheimers for around eleven years, but outlived many seemingly fitter residents in her care home. People with dementia often die from other causes, just like the rest of us.

Last edited:

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hi, and as others have said, it's like asking how long is a piece of string. John was diagnosed with Multiple Systems Atrophy, and then Alzheimer's in early 2003, and following a heart attack, was also diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. He also had a lung disease and various other things.

He died in December 2014, but it was following 3 UTIs, and the GP said that if he put Dementia as the cause of death, it would save having a post mortem - but it could have been due to any number of things.

I watched the Queen and Prince Philip on TV, and at 90 and 95, neither use a walking stick, and I've never seen Philip wearing glasses either!

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hi, and as others have said, it's like asking how long is a piece of string. John was diagnosed with Multiple Systems Atrophy, and then Alzheimer's in early 2003, and following a heart attack, was also diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. He also had a lung disease and various other things.

He died in December 2014, but it was following 3 UTIs, and the GP said that if he put Dementia as the cause of death, it would save having a post mortem - but it could have been due to any number of things.

I watched the Queen and Prince Philip on TV, and at 90 and 95, neither use a walking stick, and I've never seen Philip wearing glasses either!

I wonder if money really can buy a long and healthy life.x

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mum was diagnosed with vascular dementia 4 years ago but probably had early stages for 2/3 years beforehand. She is declining steadily, incontinent after a short stay in hospital, unable to dress or wash herself, unable to make simple meals but able to feed herself slowly.She just sits and watches TV all day and no longer communicates or recognises anybody.
She is starting to have UTIs and is at risk of falls.
Even though we have never got on or even liked each other I would not wish this on her.
I hope she passes peacefully before she enters the end stage.

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
Thank you all

THANK YOU will go with the flow and care on .day by day year by year .
like no one now what will happen and when.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Just to add that my husband had vascular dementia resulting from Peripheral Artery Disease but died eventually from aspiration pneumonia as do many people who suffer from any form of dementia.

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I do think genes, luck and a positive attitude have a influence, more perhaps than we realize.

My paternal grandmother died of lung cancer at the age of 68, although she had never smoked, lived in a small village with clean air, wasn't overweight and had plenty of exercise. She didn't drink, except for a toast at weddings & Christmas. She also had a small garden she grew vegetables in. So there is a randomness we cannot account for, try as hard as we might.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Enjoy each day as it comes I think we all have a life to enjoy some longer and healthier than others .Analizing sometimes wears me out thinking why my lovely husband has been dealt an illness as LBD while other friends of ours are still relatively healthy(so we think).I have had a couple of illnesses but am fine at the moment ,but a close friend of mine who has been very lucky up till now has been diagnosed with PD.I am gutted for her ,no answers I'm afraid .Love to all

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Yes but he smoked and had lung cancer.
True, but one of my Greatgrandfathers smoked like a chimney, and was 6 weeks short of 100 when he died, in 1924.

He was a widower, and he met my Greatgrandma, who was a widow, married her and they went on to have several children together. My Mum always said it was the most wonderful family, because all the step-siblings, half-siblings and full siblings got on with each other so well.

Attachments

• Grandpa Price.jpg
    Grandpa Price.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 370