Keys for front door

mazowe

May 2, 2015
My husband is in early stages of dementia - but one problem (among others) is that he keeps losing his keys. We live in an apartment so there ia a fob needed to get into the block and then a key to unlock the front door. This is the second time in 3 months that the keys have been lost and I will have order yet another set - costing £30 each time. Any ideas on how to cope, what to do.

I know I could withdraw the keys from him, but then we are a bit stuck if I lost mine and it also means that he cannot go out independently - he is still vapable of that at presrnt.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Is he losing them out or at home? If they are just lost at home somewhere you can get a thing that bleeps to put on your keyring so you can find them.
I am also thinking of a bar code thing the RAC sent me to put on your key ring . Anyone finding the keys can ring a phone number and presumeably return the keys spoemwhere fo ryou to collect. Never used the scheme but there are probably similar schemes in operation elsewhere.
Another thought is putting up a keybox discretely somewhere on the back of the block you live in , although many people chose to put them somewhere obvious by the fron door, I prefer a quieter corner less obvious from the road or driveway. You could leave spare keys in there just for yourself in case you ever got locked out and confiscate the keys all together.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband had his keys on a key chain that attached to his belt. It awas londenough to reach the lick without a problem. He had his house keys attached on the left side and his car keys on the right. The car keys reached the ignition so no problem.