Joint accounts

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
We have got two joint accounts. Is it better for me if my state pension goes in my single account instead of the joints accounts? We have surplus income from work and state pensions. For past twenty years we have set a monthly standing order to help buying a property and since our grandson was born twelve years ago we have a monthly standing order for him to pay for higher education. These monies come from our joint account. Will it be considered deprivation of assets by the council? If I think my husband will require care home in the future do I need to stop the two STO now. As both my pensions go in our joint account was wondering if I should transfer one in my sole account. I am not again paying but want to protect mine. His can be used fully I can even give up claiming his half. Thanks

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
It might make it easier going forwards if you split the accounts somewhat - in your situation I would each have an account that your own pensions get paid into - keep the joint account that pays the bills and set up a standing order from your individual accounts to cover the bills etc.

With regards to the 2 standing orders you mention I can't say how your LA works but , as you have surplus income and they have been in place years before your husband had any issues, would you be able to continue to cover them with your pensions and half your husbands private pension and still manage to live should your husband require LA funding for care ( i.e. at the point where your husband's assets reach the upper limit of circa £23K )?

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
Definitely split accounts. An account each and maybe a house/bills account which you each pay x amount into each month

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
Talking of assets and money, did i hear right that the upper limit for care will go from £23250 to £100000 next year or was that wishful thinking?

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Talking of assets and money, did i hear right that the upper limit for care will go from £23250 to £100000 next year or was that wishful thinking?
Currently still planned for October 2025:

However… Given that we’re in the midst of an election, I think any kind of suggested policy revision is now on hold, with no promise that it will be implemented by a new government.

Call me cynical, but I won’t be holding my breath that this will actually happen. Although I’d be delighted to be proved wrong.

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
It might make it easier going forwards if you split the accounts somewhat - in your situation I would each have an account that your own pensions get paid into - keep the joint account that pays the bills and set up a standing order from your individual accounts to cover the bills etc.

With regards to the 2 standing orders you mention I can't say how your LA works but , as you have surplus income and they have been in place years before your husband had any issues, would you be able to continue to cover them with your pensions and half your husbands private pension and still manage to live should your husband require LA funding for care ( i.e. at the point where your husband's assets reach the upper limit of circa £23K )?
Yes I will be able to cover them with my two pensions even without my husband half pension. If he does require funding from local authority I will cancel one standing order but I have enough funds from my two pensions to cover one standing order. We could spend the money for expensive holidays, using taxi instead of public transport etc but we choose to watch our spendings to help son and grandson. Should my husband require funding from local authority. I am quite happy if they use his two pensions for his assessment I will not claim half of it. The reason am asking I should be able to continue with one regular standing order without being accused of depriving of assets. For son over 20 yrs and grandson 12 yrs.

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022

However… Given that we’re in the midst of an election, I think any kind of suggested policy revision is now on hold, with no promise that it will be implemented by a new government.

Call me cynical, but I won’t be holding my breath that this will actually happen. Although I’d be delighted to be proved wrong.
Can’t see this happen as well. No mention of dementia care and the high cost of fees.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
@Jan48 - as you can cover the costs from YOUR money anyway then , as far as I see it, you are not depriving the LA of your husbands money in future - what you choose to do now , like you say about holidays, taxis etc , is up to you both. The only way to get a cast iron answer is to put it to the LA finance department and see what they say - but do get any answer in writing for future use.

With regards to half of his private pension - it is a right to have it and the LA can't do anything about that - I suspect , like most people who start off paying for their own care, by the time you get to involving the LA you will have spent thousands of pounds anyway so I would always have it - what you do with it then is up to you.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi @Jan48 , my husband is in a Nursing home partly funded by LA and topped up by me. I would advise you to keep 50% of your husband's private pension as Nursing Home fees don't cover everything.
For instance I don't drive over the last month my husband has had 5 hospital appts. He needs transport to the appts, the Home strongly advise against using hospital transport for PWD because of the long waits. I have spent £350 on taxi fares.
Another thing is laundry. Normally my husband's trousers would last 2-3 years. Nursing Home laundries are brutal and clothes don't last long.
Also when residents go on a trip out you receive a bill and it can get expensive.
The LA won't think more of you for sacrificing his pension, try to think how he would like you to live.
I have many food months where I mainly eat baked potatoes, baked beans and eggs to save money.

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
Hi @Jan48 , my husband is in a Nursing home partly funded by LA and topped up by me. I would advise you to keep 50% of your husband's private pension as Nursing Home fees don't cover everything.
For instance I don't drive over the last month my husband has had 5 hospital appts. He needs transport to the appts, the Home strongly advise against using hospital transport for PWD because of the long waits. I have spent £350 on taxi fares.
Another thing is laundry. Normally my husband's trousers would last 2-3 years. Nursing Home laundries are brutal and clothes don't last long.
Also when residents go on a trip out you receive a bill and it can get expensive.
The LA won't think more of you for sacrificing his pension, try to think how he would like you to live.
I have many food months where I mainly eat baked potatoes, baked beans and eggs to save money.
Pl can you pl clarify the partly funded by LA and topped up by you? Did you have to top up because you wanted a nicer care home? I thought when he is running out of money, the LA will pay fully. I want to be prepared for the future. I do tend to over think a lot with worse scenarios.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Pl can you pl clarify the partly funded by LA and topped up by you? Did you have to top up because you wanted a nicer care home? I thought when he is running out of money, the LA will pay fully. I want to be prepared for the future. I do tend to over think a lot with worse scenarios.
Hi, we are just ordinary so do not have loads of money. My husband's funding comes from LA, NHS because of medical conditions. They take his state pension and half his private pensions and a contribution calculated on savings.
My top up is because nobody would take my husband as his dementia was so severe at the time. He is much more settled now. The dementia home he is in is very expensive and I offered the top up to get him that place. Nobody asked me to top up I was so frightened that my husband would be placed a long away from me.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
If the home a person is in is not one that the LA are willing to pay for then they will either request a top up or move that person onto a home the LA can afford the fees for. So it’s worth checking these things before hand. Some homes won’t take LA funding at all and many homes need evidence that the person can afford at least 2 years self funding.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022

I was told that by a CAB advisor...125,000 by 2025! But not holding my breath either

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
I was told that by a CAB advisor...125,000 by 2025! But not holding my breath either
I think you are more likely to see a unicorn in your garden. Both Conservative and Labour are not mentioning anything about social care. Governments have found our generation to be a source of income for them. How many people do you know who are turned down for CHC

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
If the home a person is in is not one that the LA are willing to pay for then they will either request a top up or move that person onto a home the LA can afford the fees for. So it’s worth checking these things before hand. Some homes won’t take LA funding at all and many homes need evidence that the person can afford at least 2 years self funding.
You definitely have to show you have 2 years worth of funding. I also had to show where the money had come from ie why was it my money not a shared asset. Mine was from a legacy so it was comparatively easy but traumatic because of the crisis we were in.