It's always worth asking - Carer deals

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
As we optimistically start to plan perhaps days out, holidays, or similar it's worth checking if there are any deals for Carers, because, sometimes they are not advertised.

Here are some I have found:-

NATIONAL TRUST

For less than £6 a month, I signed my PWD up for the NT - any carer he takes with him, does not have to be named, and they get in free. The book you get gives you all the details of their sites, opening times etc etc. Even in PWD is not interested, it is often just pleasant to walk in the gardens and admire the flowers.

THE MARY ROSE

We went this weekend. Their price information does not mention any Carer deals but I asked and, yes, a Carer goes free. Instead of paying £16 each, we just paid £16 and we can return any time free of charge within the year.

WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL

Again, no information on their price sheet, but if you ask - Carer goes free. Also worth knowing is that on Sundays there is no set charge, they ask for a donation, other days are charged for.

Perhaps we could add to this list.... and if I am on the wrong part of the forum, perhaps this could be moved. Please note, I am not advertising or endorsing any attractions, simply making a list that I hope will be useful.

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
It’s worth mentioning the defence discount card for persons who have served their country. Many discounts are given. Every little bit of saving money helps.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
It’s worth mentioning the defence discount card for persons who have served their country. Many discounts are given. Every little bit of saving money helps.
Thanks a lot for that - I have mentioned it to my son who is a former Royal Marine - not that there is such a thing as once a Marine always a Marine !!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Do they have anything like a Senior's Card in UK?

Once you get to 65, you get a Senior's Card which gets you discounts in all sorts of places if they choose to do it. It is not compulsory for places to offer it but many do - cheaper coffee, discounts at the cinema, I got a discount on my last set of types.

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
I used to get in for free when taking my dad to our YMCA gym, and they used to charge him a reduced rate even though he was not a member and they were very helpful and kind. We also joined a rehab class, which was mostly for people referred by their GP. Dad could not follow all the instructions but we just worked within his limits and the staff there were so patient and kind.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Do they have anything like a Senior's Card in UK?

Once you get to 65, you get a Senior's Card which gets you discounts in all sorts of places if they choose to do it. It is not compulsory for places to offer it but many do - cheaper coffee, discounts at the cinema, I got a discount on my last set of types.
Don't know about this Seniors card - we do get free bus passes, which is useful, as we no longer have a car.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I used to get in for free when taking my dad to our YMCA gym, and they used to charge him a reduced rate even though he was not a member and they were very helpful and kind. We also joined a rehab class, which was mostly for people referred by their GP. Dad could not follow all the instructions but we just worked within his limits and the staff there were so patient and kind.
Just shows how it is worth finding out these things !

Di*

Sep 25, 2015
Cornwall
National Trust do an Essential Companion Card which allows the 'disabled' person to bring a carer free of charge (can be anyone). I had to e-mail them with an enquiry and received the info they needed back.

Also there is a CEA Card which allows you to accompany a (can't remember the terminology they used) person free of charge to various cinemas through the country. The card costs £6 per year but that will be recouped in one visit, generally.

Di*

Sep 25, 2015
Cornwall
National Trust do an Essential Companion Card which allows the 'disabled' person to bring a carer free of charge (can be anyone). I had to e-mail them with an enquiry and received the info they needed back.

Also there is a CEA Card which allows you to accompany a (can't remember the terminology they used) person free of charge to various cinemas through the country. The card costs £6 per year but that will be recouped in one visit, generally.

Re-reading the thread, I see they have already been mentioned.